1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chickens don't want out of their coop....?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amyh, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Amyh

Amyh Songster

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    We have four chickens in a small coop that we kept confined for a few weeks and have been letting them free range for close to a week. I normally just let them out to free range when I'm able to keep an eye on them because we have a chicken killer dog. Yesterday we were home all day, so I figured it would be nice for them to free range all day while we kept an eye on them. They were out from 6:00am until close to 9:00pm.

Today I opened the door at 10am and they have not come out of the coop yet. It's 2:00, so this is very strange to me... why would they want to sit in the hot coop when they could be free ranging in the woods?

Should I kick them out? Should I be worried?

2. The Tinman

The Tinman Songster

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    I would just let them be for now. They are like teenagers. Sometime they don`t want to go out on a nice day,other time they don`t want to come in. If they never want to go out you might want to try treats to coach them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: