Chickens dropping like flie!!!

FarmalI

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 14, 2013
Ive had chickens for abut 15 years and I have hardly ever lost any but in the last 6 months I have lost about 8 to 10 hens and I am looking for any help as to why they are dying. I have chickens from 1 to 3 years old. Whatever this is, it is only killing the young birds. They all seem normal, but within a week or sometimes just days before they die they start acting sluggish, tired, or slow. I had one bird have one swollen breast, but the others really didn’t show any abnormal physical features. I don’t know what else to say. Ask questions and I’ll try to answer them but this is starting to really bother me and I don’t know where to start.

I would suggest looking inside of their mouths. Check for anything strange looking like yellowish growths or heavy mucus. Eyes clear? Nose runny? How is their breathing? Sores on face near nostrils or on combs? Do they look skinny? Feathers look in disarray? Check for these different things and report back asap. We have to have somewhere to start, there must be some symptom. Good luck

I would suggest looking inside of their mouths. Check for anything strange looking like yellowish growths or heavy mucus. Eyes clear? Nose runny? How is their breathing? Sores on face near nostrils or on combs? Do they look skinny? Feathers look in disarray? Check for these different things and report back asap. We have to have somewhere to start, there must be some symptom. Good luck
X2. Coccidiosis is very common in younger birds, and the symptoms are sleepiness, weakness, not eating, hunched or puffed up appearance and runny droppings with either yellow mucus or blood. Corid (amprollium, Ampromed) a cattle medicine is the best treatment. Here is a link for your state vet to contact about getting a necropsy if you lose another:

http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Besides acting different there is nothing I see that tells me something is wrong, the look and sound normal.

With an outbreak of possible cocci, I would treat with either :
Corid powder at 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water or Corid liquid at 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days. Then give some vitamins and probiotics (or plain yogurt culture) for several days.

Back
Top Bottom