Chicken injured

oh2bncal

Hatching
Nov 30, 2023
I have a 6 month old wyndot that is just laying down. Spreads 1 wing out. I picked her up, she starts running her legs, but when I put her down she just lays there.

I think one of the cats may have chased her - they have never hurt any chickens before.

I have her separated from the rest of the free range hens. She went into the brush for the night last night, she blended in well, I didn’t even see her until the cats pointed her out this morning.

I put her in a separate’pen’ and gave her food and water which she is consuming.

I don’t know what is wrong with her. Nothing is swollen or seems punctured or broken. Any help???

I have a 6 month old wyndot that is just laying down. Spreads 1 wing out. I picked her up, she starts running her legs, but when I put her down she just lays there.

I think one of the cats may have chased her - they have never hurt any chickens before.

I have her separated from the rest of the free range hens. She went into the brush for the night last night, she blended in well, I didn’t even see her until the cats pointed her out this morning.

I put her in a separate’pen’ and gave her food and water which she is consuming.

I don’t know what is wrong with her. Nothing is swollen or seems punctured or broken. Any help???
Can you post some pictures? First thought I’d mareks disease. Are the vaccinated against it? Other reasons could be neurological but it’s hard to tell. Definitely post some pictures, and maybe even post a video to YouTube and then share it here so we can see her movements. Keep up the food and water

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I agree with the first poster.. Marek's is the first thought that comes to mind with age and description of symptoms so far. There are other things that can looks similar though including a vitamin/mineral deficiency. Noting that even vaccinated birds may still get Marek's.. the vaccine only prevents some symptoms (like the sciatic tumor that often causes this paralysis/ataxia/in-coordination) when effective but still allows it to proliferate hidden in the flock.

Please describe feed routine including treats and supplements. Has she laid any eggs yet?

Hope you find answers and she recovers quickly! :fl

x3 Mareks! 😭
If that is the case, I am almost 100% sure that it is, it would probably be best to put her down. Keep her away from the flock and wash down feeders, waterers, roosts, nest boxes, change all bedding etc...
Mareks is almost a 100% death sentence for a chicken.
Where did you get your birds??? Where they vaccinated for Mareks??
So sorry about you beautiful hen!! :hugs❤️

Back
Top Bottom