Chickens dying help!!

E Buschjost

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2021
Near Jefferson City Missouri
I can not figure out what is going on with our chickens. We have had two die and now a third one is acting the same way. They are fine the day before. on the morning of their death they get up and out of the coop but seem a little tired but still are active and moving around and then over a period of hours seem to get progressively more tired. Lay leaning to the side, close eyes more and more and then die by early afternoon. The first two it was really hot so we thought maybe it was heat related even though they got sick in mornings when it was still cooler. Today is warmer than the last few days but still only 85 with lots of shade. The first two deaths were 5 d apart and now this one it’s been 7 days. No two seem sick at the same time. No cough, no mucus, plenty of food and water available. Treated with corrid just in case after the second one died even though hadn’t noted diarrhea. I’m at a loss.

I can not figure out what is going on with our chickens. We have had two die and now a third one is acting the same way. They are fine the day before. on the morning of their death they get up and out of the coop but seem a little tired but still are active and moving around and then over a period of hours seem to get progressively more tired. Lay leaning to the side, close eyes more and more and then die by early afternoon. The first two it was really hot so we thought maybe it was heat related even though they got sick in mornings when it was still cooler. Today is warmer than the last few days but still only 85 with lots of shade. The first two deaths were 5 d apart and now this one it’s been 7 days. No two seem sick at the same time. No cough, no mucus, plenty of food and water available. Treated with corrid just in case after the second one died even though hadn’t noted diarrhea. I’m at a loss.
It must be something infectious. @azygous @muddy75 @Texasclucker

Did you check your chickens and the coop for red poultry mites? It's the time of the year and they will literally suck the life out of a chicken within a few days.

CIt s best to check at night as they hide in the crevices during the day and only come out at night to feed on the roosting chickens.

I am sorry you lost them.

Please read through this thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/3-sick-chickens-from-2-different-coops.1486663/

They are currently experiencing what you are. It's very likely cocciosis and it can happen when hot weather combines with rain. It can kill rapidly with heaving coccidia loads as they erode the intestinal lining causing bacterial infection. I've recommended a med to order and treatment you might want to consider.

unfortunately im no good at chicken sickness guesses the best thing to do is to pray i don't at all know what could be wrong since you arent noticing any symptoms maybe they are eating something toxic i would love to help and i hope someone comes along that can. have a nice day sorry for your losses

Back
Top Bottom