Chickens dying

SJC510

In the Brooder
May 30, 2016
I got my first flock about 3 years ago. They were a black star, RIR, and a barred rock. In the past 3 months, the RIR and barred rock have suddenly died. I noticed no symptoms beforehand. I’m not an experienced chicken flock owner except for the day to day for the past 3 years. I have 2 new chicks to introduce soon, but I’m concerned about what’s causing my other chickens to die. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing these sudden deaths?
Also, should I throw out the recent eggs of the one that died last night?

I got my first flock about 3 years ago. They were a black star, RIR, and a barred rock. In the past 3 months, the RIR and barred rock have suddenly died. I noticed no symptoms beforehand. I’m not an experienced chicken flock owner except for the day to day for the past 3 years. I have 2 new chicks to introduce soon, but I’m concerned about what’s causing my other chickens to die. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing these sudden deaths?
The only way to know for certain what happened is to have a necropsy done by your state lab or do an informal one yourself and post pictures here for help with diagnosis.
A complete stab in the dark would be fatter liver hemorrhagic syndrome because they showed no symptoms before death and they are about 3 years old. What do you feed them and what size area do they have to roam in during the day?

The only way to know for certain what happened is to have a necropsy done by your state lab or do an informal one yourself and post pictures here for help with diagnosis.
A complete stab in the dark would be fatter liver hemorrhagic syndrome because they showed no symptoms before death and they are about 3 years old. What do you feed them and what size area do they have to roam in during the day?

They eat Kalmbach layer feed from our local feed store and they free range about once a day so they eat grass and worms. They also get some scraps of fruits and vegetables from when I cook. Their run is about 40 square feet for 3 then 2 now 1 chicken(s).

They eat Kalmbach layer feed from our local feed store and they free range about once a day so they eat grass and worms. They also get some scraps of fruits and vegetables from when I cook. Their run is about 40 square feet for 3 then 2 now 1 chicken(s).
That all sounds reasonable. It really could have been anything.
Do you think you could do an informal necropsy? There are Youtube videos that show you what to do.

That all sounds reasonable. It really could have been anything.
Do you think you could do an informal necropsy? There are Youtube videos that show you what to do.

I just don’t think that I have it in me. I wouldn’t make a good farmer.

I suspect that it is the fatty liver disease. My remaining hen is having symptoms also. I’m going to try to get her out and moving more in the next few days and make sure that I limit carbs to try to help her. I have 2 young chicks that will join her soon, and I really want to keep her alive!

I just don’t think that I have it in me. I wouldn’t make a good farmer.

I suspect that it is the fatty liver disease. My remaining hen is having symptoms also. I’m going to try to get her out and moving more in the next few days and make sure that I limit carbs to try to help her. I have 2 young chicks that will join her soon, and I really want to keep her alive!
What symptoms is your remaining hen showing? Can you post some photos of her and her poop?
How old is she?
Does she lay eggs regularly?
Have you checked her for lice/mites? Ever dewormed her? Any symptoms of swelling/bloat or fluid in the abdomen?

What symptoms is your remaining hen showing? Can you post some photos of her and her poop?
How old is she?
Does she lay eggs regularly?
Have you checked her for lice/mites? Ever dewormed her? Any symptoms of swelling/bloat or fluid in the abdomen?

My remaining hen is a 3 year old black decline. She lays eggs regularly - about 5 a week. She doesn’t have lice or mites and she’s been recently dewormed. I don’t see or feel any swelling or bloat, but I could probably miss that unless it was very obvious. To me, she doesn’t look any different than she ever has, except she is a little mopey right now since her coop mate died yesterday.
She has had a soiled butt (I think I saw this as a symptom) for about a month now. She’s also had poor eggshell quality this laying season. I assumed that it was a calcium problem, but now I wonder if it’s fatty liver disease. Her poop was a bit watery today, but it rained and washed away so I can’t get a picture.

First, so sorry about your loss.

I wonder if you're in the virulent Newcastle Disease (vND) area.

Los Angeles, San Bernardino and Riverside Counties in SoCal have been quarantined. Isolated cases have been identified in NoCal, AZ and UT.

The link above lists symptoms and provides info about who to contact if you think you've been hit by vND.

Thanks! I’m in WV, so I think we’re safe from vND. Thanks for checking, though. I’ll take any and all ideas!

Back
Top Bottom