Chickens eating eggs

Pics

Elitefarm

Songster
5 Years
Jan 9, 2019
Washington
I have 3 egg eaters :( 1 is a mild case and the other two are horrible! Any time they see an egg they RUN and start pecking it even when it's still under the hen! I have 5 fake eggs (1 per nest box) they have high protein food with unlimited oyster shells and they free range all day with plenty of toys filled with treats and scraps fed. I'm worried my other girls will start learning. I've tried mustard in the shells and they loved it :( they ate all three fully within about 3 minutes. I don't know why but it's only my black copper marans and all 3 of them. I have two coops but one has chicks in it currently and can't put adults in with them. I have no way to make roll away boxes either is there any other options? The least horrible I found a home for but the other two I don't feel comfortable about rehoming. The "least horrible" only eats eggs from one of my pullets and she hasn't eaten any in the past 2 weeks since I was off and able to collect that pullets eggs when she laid. The other two are much more obsessed with eggs. I have no clue what to do :/

Sounds like you need a roll out nest.
How old are these birds and how long have they been eating eggs?

What 'high protein' feed are you feeding...is it available all day?

Roll out inserts?!? That's brilliant! The chickens in question one (the worst) is almost 2 and the other 2 are about 9 months old I just got two about a month ago they've been eating as long as I've had them. The other started eating about 2 weeks before I got these two but she's the least terrible. They get flock feed so a 20% protein available all day along with oyster shells available at all times. I'm definitely trying to avoid culling them unless there is no other options. I had started to leave eggs hoping to get a broody but thats when my first maran started eating eggs luckily none of the others have started yet but I want to fix it before the rest catch on. I'll have to try the roll away attachments! Thank you

Update: I have been upping my collection and let them free range earlier in the morning until later at night (when I'm home) and I had an emergency yesterday and left them alone from 10am-6pm in their coop. Came home to not a single eaten egg and got 16 eggs out of 17 laying hens! I hope getting rid of this other girl will make it stay that way! She is a relapser ‍♀️

I also have issues with pecking and egg eating in my younger girls, but there are a few that lay very thin shelled eggs or soft shelled eggs. I am considering painting my ceramic eggs a darker brown and blue/green because that’s what most of my hens lay/what’s getting eaten... did your egg eating Marans go for different shaded eggs? I love those nest box inserts! I might see if I can find some here.

One was eating just one of my girls eggs, similar to what you said a new layer with thin shells the other two went for any egg even eating their own right after laying. Still haven't had any new developments no eggs eaten in a week now! I had once come home to 13 eggs not eaten but all with holes from pecking. But not even a peck mark in the past week I increased my protein about 2 weeks ago so I'm thinking that has helped or the longer free ranging

In the last couple of days I too have found a broken egg in the coop, and it was obvious peck hole in it and most of the egg had been eaten.
Today same again, so I just ordered some roll-away nest boxes, trouble is they won't be delivered for about a week so I'll have to keep watch and hopefully catch whoever the culprit is.

Back
Top Bottom