Chickens eating eggs

newchickgirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 1, 2010
Appleton, Maine
Why would my chickens be eating the eggs? They aren't eating them all, some days I get 2 or 3 that are fine then I have days like today when I came home there were 2 eggs and just the insides of a 3rd dribbling all over the box. Why are they doing this? I got these girls from a neighbor 1 town over and the day I picked them up, they had laid 9 eggs. The most I've gotten is 3. It has only been 9 days and I realize its a big change, but when will they pick it up again?

Are your nesting boxes on the ground? I have an old metal 3 tiered one, and I found they were eating the eggs in the nests along the bottom, so I blocked those off and then they moved to the top tier and it ended my egg eating!

I have 5 nesting boxes that are all hooked together. I made them out of an old captains bed frame with the drawers removed. The whole contraption sits on cinder blocks, 2 high. Should it be higher or lower? They laid 3 eggs today and ate them 2 and most of the third. When I threw what was left of the 3rd in the compost, they hopped up and grabbed that like it was gold and everyone fought over it. Are they missing something in their diet? I am feeding them laying pellets and they get scratch and various fruit left overs and bread. Should I be feeding them oyster shells or boss?

Back
Top Bottom