Chickens eating eggshells?

Jul 13, 2018
Southern California
Today I went to my coop and noticed a soft shell egg. Now this was starting to become a everyday thing now so I got some eggshells that I’ve been collecting and dried and crushed them up to about the size of an oat. I gave it to them and quickly realized my mistake, but by time I got back they had already finished it. I gave them some grit and they aren’t eating it. Now I’m scared that the egg shell was to sharp and it would cut their crops or throat. What should I do?

Eggshells won't hurt your chicken. They love 'em. It's just that you will probably never have enough eggshell to meet their calcium needs.

I rinse all my eggshells, give 'em a nuke in the microwave and save them in a jar for the chickens but I also give them crushed oyster shell. They always go for the eggshell first but I'd guess they need twice as much oyster shell.

M

Eggshells won't hurt your chicken. They love 'em. It's just that you will probably never have enough eggshell to meet their calcium needs.

I rinse all my eggshells, give 'em a nuke in the microwave and save them in a jar for the chickens but I also give them crushed oyster shell. They always go for the eggshell first but I'd guess they need twice as much oyster shell.
I know if you did it correctly like you guys but mine where very sharp because I left them out to dry for a few days

They don't need to be small...you can break one egg shell in half and they can eat it just like that.

Don't worry.
Oat size is actually small.

They are still fine. :)
Your birds eat rocks and so do mine "among other weird stuff" an eggshell won't ever be sharp enough to do anything to their crops and it won't be anything but mush when it hits stomach.
M

I know if you did it correctly like you guys but mine where very sharp because I left them out to dry for a few days

Back
Top Bottom