Chickens eating their own eggs?

AnonPaperclip

Songster
5 Years
Apr 11, 2017
Oh boy, another post.
I just got home from school and made myself something to eat. Outside I saw one of the Welsummers being chased by the other hens while holding something large in her beak. I went out, grabbed her and took the cracked, empty egg that she was holding. I knew it was from a Faverolle (I also noticed two other eggs of the same kind. One was in the nesting box and another was in the run being stepped on) What does it mean when a hen starts to eat her own eggs? Are they not getting enough nutrients?

They are most likely getting enough nutrients, but they have developed a nasty habit! You will definitely need to stop this, or it could be a major problem in the future! Let me share the basics of egg eating with you. Let me know if you have any questions!

Prevention

Egg eating starts when a hen gets the taste of raw egg. Imagine never have tried cake in your life, and accidentally, you get a taste. You love, it, so you keep on eating it! It's the same with chickens! The best way to prevent egg breakage (therefore preventing a chicken from eating raw egg), is to make sure the shell is as hard as possible. This can be achieved by providing crushed oyster shells and/or crushed eggshells!

You can also help prevent egg eating and breakage by: At least one 12 by 12 inch nesting box for every 4 hens; Keep at least 2 inches of nesting material in the boxes; collect eggs early.

Breaking the Habit

Ok! So as you have told us, you have an egg eater. Here is how to stop this. Make sure that there are no bright lights near the nesting boxes. You want it as dark as possible. Consider adding nesting box curtains to keep it even darker. You can also try placing golf balls or fake eggs in the nest. When you collect eggs early, the hens don't have the chance to peck the real eggs. So adding fake eggs deters them from eating the eggs. They will get tired and bored of pecking this fake egg, that hopefully, the behavior will carry on to real eggs. You could also try filling an empty egg shell with mustard. Chickens HATE mustard. Take a blown out egg (if you don't know how to do this, let me know) and fill it with mustard. When the hens try to eat it, they will get an unpleasant surprise.

Best wishes!!! I hope this helps fix the problem! Let me know if you have any questions!

- Chatty :)

They are most likely getting enough nutrients, but they have developed a nasty habit! You will definitely need to stop this, or it could be a major problem in the future! Let me share the basics of egg eating with you. Let me know if you have any questions!

Prevention

Egg eating starts when a hen gets the taste of raw egg. Imagine never have tried cake in your life, and accidentally, you get a taste. You love, it, so you keep on eating it! It's the same with chickens! The best way to prevent egg breakage (therefore preventing a chicken from eating raw egg), is to make sure the shell is as hard as possible. This can be achieved by providing crushed oyster shells and/or crushed eggshells!

You can also help prevent egg eating and breakage by: At least one 12 by 12 inch nesting box for every 4 hens; Keep at least 2 inches of nesting material in the boxes; collect eggs early.

Breaking the Habit

Ok! So as you have told us, you have an egg eater. Here is how to stop this. Make sure that there are no bright lights near the nesting boxes. You want it as dark as possible. Consider adding nesting box curtains to keep it even darker. You can also try placing golf balls or fake eggs in the nest. When you collect eggs early, the hens don't have the chance to peck the real eggs. So adding fake eggs deters them from eating the eggs. They will get tired and bored of pecking this fake egg, that hopefully, the behavior will carry on to real eggs. You could also try filling an empty egg shell with mustard. Chickens HATE mustard. Take a blown out egg (if you don't know how to do this, let me know) and fill it with mustard. When the hens try to eat it, they will get an unpleasant surprise.

Best wishes!!! I hope this helps fix the problem! Let me know if you have any questions!

- Chatty :)
Thanks! I was thinking about trying a different feed too. I've been told that since not all of them have started laying, they have to stay on grower feed. There are two ceramic eggs in the nesting boxes, as well (there are three nesting boxes for six chickens, although they only use two of them) I can't get the eggs first thing in the morning because I have to leave for school at 6:30 (crazy, I know) and it's still dark outside, which means they're still asleep.
I'll definitely try the mustard thing, though!

Back
Top Bottom