Chickens everywhere!

If you can, talk to the neighbors. Let them know that although you really don't care if they have chickens or not, you really need them to keep the chickens on their own property and off yours. Let them know that the chickens have destroyed your flower beds and garden. AND let them know that this an expense for you as flowers and garden starts are expensive.

I envision something like this: "Hi, I am your neighbor from across the road. I see that you have chickens. I don't want to cause any problems, but we have a problem. Your chickens are spending alot of time in my yard and on my porch. It will cost me $200 to replace the flowers that they destroyed and since they have been doing damage in the veggie garden also, I am not sure I will have any home grown produce to harvest - Man, I love me some homegrown tomatoes. And, while I appreciate the free fertilizer they are leaving behind, I am not happy about slipping on it or tracking it into the house. Please figure out how to keep your chickens out of my yard." (this is close to word-for-word a conversation that I had with a neighbor once)

Give them a chance to fix the issue - like a week after you talk to them, if nothing changes, then file a complaint with your city. Call the City hall and ask who you need to contact about your neighbors chickens being a nuisance on your property. In the mean time, take pictures of the damage and birds in your yard. A photo is worth a thousand words. (Don't forget pictures of poop on your shoes)

If you can, talk to the neighbors. Let them know that although you really don't care if they have chickens or not, you really need them to keep the chickens on their own property and off yours. Let them know that the chickens have destroyed your flower beds and garden. AND let them know that this an expense for you as flowers and garden starts are expensive.

I envision something like this: "Hi, I am your neighbor from across the road. I see that you have chickens. I don't want to cause any problems, but we have a problem. Your chickens are spending alot of time in my yard and on my porch. It will cost me $200 to replace the flowers that they destroyed and since they have been doing damage in the veggie garden also, I am not sure I will have any home grown produce to harvest - Man, I love me some homegrown tomatoes. And, while I appreciate the free fertilizer they are leaving behind, I am not happy about slipping on it or tracking it into the house. Please figure out how to keep your chickens out of my yard." (this is close to word-for-word a conversation that I had with a neighbor once)

Give them a chance to fix the issue - like a week after you talk to them, if nothing changes, then file a complaint with your city. Call the City hall and ask who you need to contact about your neighbors chickens being a nuisance on your property. In the mean time, take pictures of the damage and birds in your yard. A photo is worth a thousand words. (Don't forget pictures of poop on your shoes)
Great post!! Sending the neighbors a bill for damages might light a fire under their rears as well

Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frow

I'm so sorry to hear you're having problems with you neighbors chickens. Unfortunately, it's people like that that get harsh city ordinances started in the first place. Have you tried talking with them?
I've tried to talk to them, but they say I'm trespassing and don't want to hear about it. The police and animal control have spoke to them, but not me.
I'm not against chickens, just wish they would have a proper coop.

This has been going on for 4-5 months. I've tried to speak with them, but they say I'm trespassing and call police. The police say it's a civil matter, and can't do anything.

This has been going on for 4-5 months. I've tried to speak with them, but they say I'm trespassing and call police. The police say it's a civil matter, and can't do anything.

Sadly then you'll have to take it to you local government. Start with the zoning office, since they are technically breaking the law there. Perhaps they can set up a mediation between the 2 of you. Otherwise it would likely have to go up to civil court, but who has that kind on money to waste...

It sounds like you need to get serious about it. Contact your local city council rep and tell him the problem you are having. Address it at the city council meeting - it's the city rule that is being broken and they need to be there for their constituents. If that doesn't work, contact the local news and let them tell the story.

If nothing else, buy a fishing net or borrow a live trap. Catch the chickens and take them to animal control / drop them off at the pound.

I've tried to talk to them, but they say I'm trespassing and don't want to hear about it. The police and animal control have spoke to them, but not me.
I'm not against chickens, just wish they would have a proper coop.
Ah, well there is no reasoning with ignorance nor arrogance. There really is no way to keep them out of your yard, they need to be fenced in. I suggest catching and calling animal control to pick them up. They'll get tired of paying the money to get them out, or just won't. Shouldn't be different than any other stray.

Obviously this is a little different, but here if someones cows get into our pasture we can lock them up and start charging them AUM fees. Might be worth looking in to.

What a horrible position to be in - neighbors out here retaliate if you complain , not chickens but, free ranging dogs and cats that "carp" all over my property and I'm tired of ruining my shoes- finding it.

Their dog poops like an elephant and it takes 3 piles at a time to empty her out.
Hey, they don't pick it up in their yard either and they walk around BAREFOOT in their own minefield. One son was in trouble with authorities from the time they moved in. He bought a neighbors truck and then took the doors off and drove around in that.

After fines for that - the son displayed a dead squirrel on the front of the truck. Got fined for that. Also endless drug parties where car after car would stop briefly at their house, run in and run out, for hours at a time. Yes, mother was home.:idunno

If I could afford a solid 6 foot tall fence I would have it. But I suspect he would cut holes in it to see what's doing on or burn it down. I've will have been here 50 years in September. They are the fourth or fifth family to live here in that period of time.

Sorry I have no advice for you, I can't handle the problems I am having.

PS their dog is wild as the wind but, very sweet. They got her from a shelter and was up for her last day of freedom when another brother adopted her. She was turned in for killing chickens and fighting other dogs.

Back
Top Bottom