Chickens everywhere!

Pics

NanaVickie

Chirping
Jul 10, 2019
I'm new to the group, and would like to say hello.
I don't own any chickens, but I'm having severe problems with my neighbors.
We live inside city limits, and chickens aren't allowed. (Not the issue)
There are 23 hens and 2 roosters.
My issue is, they cross the road, come onto my property, destroyed my garden and flower beds, they poop everywhere and it's caused my husband (who is disabled) fall twice, and I have slipped in the poop and fallen once.
What can I do to keep them off my porch, sidewalk, and out of my garden?

9A06F730-F468-4063-9343-BAA056C9347D.jpeg

Miss Piggy Sue says, “Welcome to our eggcelent flock here at BYC!”

Hello. :frow Sorry you had to join a chicken forum when you are not a chicken owner because you have highly irresponsible and inconsiderate neighbors.
The first thing I would to would be to explain to them that you do not want their chickens on your property. Period. If they do not confine their flock explain to them again that if they will not respect your property you will have no choice but to turn them into code enforcement. The city would force them to remove the birds. The ONLY way to really keep the birds off your property is to keep them fence in or in a run.
It's a tough spot to be in because you want to maintain harmony with the people you live near. I hate that you have been put in such a situation.
Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you make out.

If you can, talk to the neighbors. Let them know that although you really don't care if they have chickens or not, you really need them to keep the chickens on their own property and off yours. Let them know that the chickens have destroyed your flower beds and garden. AND let them know that this an expense for you as flowers and garden starts are expensive.

I envision something like this: "Hi, I am your neighbor from across the road. I see that you have chickens. I don't want to cause any problems, but we have a problem. Your chickens are spending alot of time in my yard and on my porch. It will cost me $200 to replace the flowers that they destroyed and since they have been doing damage in the veggie garden also, I am not sure I will have any home grown produce to harvest - Man, I love me some homegrown tomatoes. And, while I appreciate the free fertilizer they are leaving behind, I am not happy about slipping on it or tracking it into the house. Please figure out how to keep your chickens out of my yard." (this is close to word-for-word a conversation that I had with a neighbor once)

Give them a chance to fix the issue - like a week after you talk to them, if nothing changes, then file a complaint with your city. Call the City hall and ask who you need to contact about your neighbors chickens being a nuisance on your property. In the mean time, take pictures of the damage and birds in your yard. A photo is worth a thousand words. (Don't forget pictures of poop on your shoes)

It sounds like you need to get serious about it. Contact your local city council rep and tell him the problem you are having. Address it at the city council meeting - it's the city rule that is being broken and they need to be there for their constituents. If that doesn't work, contact the local news and let them tell the story.

If nothing else, buy a fishing net or borrow a live trap. Catch the chickens and take them to animal control / drop them off at the pound.

Suing for property damage, physical and emotional distress plus lawyer fees and court costs could be very costly to them.
Depends on where you live. In VT if you win, you can get court costs. You can not get lawyer fees and they are EXPENSIVE!

Take the advice to go to the city and find out what department is responsible for enforcing zoning regulations. Sit in their office. Maybe bring a chicken or two.

I'm new to the group, and would like to say hello.
I don't own any chickens, but I'm having severe problems with my neighbors.
We live inside city limits, and chickens aren't allowed. (Not the issue)
There are 23 hens and 2 roosters.
My issue is, they cross the road, come onto my property, destroyed my garden and flower beds, they poop everywhere and it's caused my husband (who is disabled) fall twice, and I have slipped in the poop and fallen once.
What can I do to keep them off my porch, sidewalk, and out of my garden?

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people! Is your yard fenced? If so, and the chickens are flying over the fence, and you HAVE asked the neighbors to keep their chickens out of your yard...and explained why...(especially your husband's fall!) then if it were me, I'd start eating chickens...

Wow, sorry about this. I've had wandering chicken issues in the past too, at one place a neighbor was feeding them and buying straw bedding for under her porch and totally encouraging the chickens to hang out there. At another place they were doing some minor garden damage and I fenced in an acre and a half in an attempt to keep my birds home. That didn't work for very long, and eventually I had to build large covered pens to contain my birds because I didn't want them irritating my neighbors.

Put a "free chickens-- you catch!" ad on Craigslist if the neighbors won't at least attempt to contain their birds...

Grr. Tell them they are ANIMAL Control, not DOG control! If there was a problem goat, or a nuisance elk or moose or bear, wouldn't you call ANIMAL Control and expect to get some help? I'm sorry we're not able to be of more help to you. But we do certainly commiserate with you. I've had unpleasant, drug dealing, scary neighbors, too, and I'm glad to be well away from them. Killing and eating their chickens, though tempting, is probably not a great idea because they sound like bullies, the kind of "neighbors" who might retaliate in some way. Putting up a fence and getting a dog that would keep the chickens out (one way or another) may be your best bet. Good luck! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom