Chickens everywhere!

Grr. Tell them they are ANIMAL Control, not DOG control! If there was a problem goat, or a nuisance elk or moose or bear, wouldn't you call ANIMAL Control and expect to get some help? I'm sorry we're not able to be of more help to you. But we do certainly commiserate with you. I've had unpleasant, drug dealing, scary neighbors, too, and I'm glad to be well away from them. Killing and eating their chickens, though tempting, is probably not a great idea because they sound like bullies, the kind of "neighbors" who might retaliate in some way. Putting up a fence and getting a dog that would keep the chickens out (one way or another) may be your best bet. Good luck! :hugs

They won't speak to me. They call the police, saying I'm trespassing. I've got pictures and videos, wittnesses, etc..
I'm at my wits end...

If chickens are not allowed, then why are the police not doing their job and telling the neighbors to get rid of their illegal chickens? That is frustrating, and getting more and more common, where the law enforcers don't enforce the law.

So, time to take matters into your own hands. As others have suggested, buy a Havahart live trap, bait it with something tasty and catch those chickens, one by one. Turn them into the pound, and say that you've caught them in an area where chickens are not allowed. Tell the pound your neighbors are keeping chickens illegally, and tell them not to give the chicken back to the owner. I've had to do this with cats on my property. There are way too many irresponsible pet owners out there.

Suing for property damage, physical and emotional distress plus lawyer fees and court costs could be very costly to them.
Depends on where you live. In VT if you win, you can get court costs. You can not get lawyer fees and they are EXPENSIVE!

Take the advice to go to the city and find out what department is responsible for enforcing zoning regulations. Sit in their office. Maybe bring a chicken or two.

It sounds like no matter what, the chickens need to be caught. They are, after all trespassing on YOUR property and causing damage... more damage than if YOU "trespass" on your neighbor's property.

If this problem goes unchecked, there will eventually be even more birds to contend with if the hens hatch out some chicks. And if those chickens aren't being cared for properly (hence the reason they're looking for food at your place) and they're constantly loose at risk of being killed by predators, that may count as animal cruelty or neglect. I would think animal control has an OBLIGATION to take action.

I do like @bruceha2000 's idea of bringing a couple chickens to city hall. Maybe they "accidentally" get loose...

And this idea
Put a "free chickens-- you catch!" ad on Craigslist if the neighbors won't at least attempt to contain their birds...

But if all you want is to keep them out of your yard, you might have to get a little set of electric fencing. It's effective at keeping chickens IN and predators OUT, so should work well in your situation, just don't know how big your yard is... could get pretty expensive.

I've tried keeping my own birds out of my garden beds and berry bushes with bird netting and various low fencing, but the only thing that works (short of electric wire) is locking them in a fully enclosed run or their own yard with 6' fencing. I only let them free range in my backyard for short periods so they don't tear everything up. My husband hates poop on the patio, it's just part of chicken life... but YOU shouldn't have to deal with that!

People like your neighbor make all of us backyard chickeners look bad. You've been given some great ideas, I really hope you're able to solve the issue, even if you end up stocking your freezer.

It's illegal and against codes to keep them inside city limits.
Trust me, I looked into it!!!
Turn them in to whatever authority enforces the code. It doesn't sound like it's the police or AC. Have you called your city clerk to ask them who enforces that ordinance?

Back
Top Bottom