Chickens faces have turned black

MonsterChucks

Hatching
Jul 12, 2020
Sorry if I'm posing in the wrong forum, I've tried looking everywhere but can't find an exact answer.

My chickens have started developing a black face and wattles. It started on the face rather than the wattles but has gradually spread outwards. At first we thought it was just oil as if they had walked under one of the old tractors but it doesn't seem to come off.

I've read about it being kidney problems but they're not remotely lathargic. It's not affected their behaviour or appetite from what we can see. No scabbing or bleeding either.

We have some bluebells (which I read is normal to have some blackening of the wattle) but also warrens, light Sussex, and black rocks which have all been affected.

I know one or two have been laying soft shelled eggs occasionally and some of the eggs have been pecked. We thought this was magpies at first because we've noticed them hovering around but now I'm wondering if its the chickens themselves.

I've attached some pictures (which are unfortunately not the clearest). Does anyone know what this could be? Thank you for any help or advice you can give.

Attachments

• IMG_20200712_150559.jpg
    IMG_20200712_150559.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20200712_150556.jpg
    IMG_20200712_150556.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20200712_152124.jpg
    IMG_20200712_152124.jpg
    611.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20200712_152124.jpg
    IMG_20200712_152124.jpg
    611.5 KB · Views: 95
Are these purebred birds? Recently, there have been pictures of similar black coloring bleeding into faces and combs, and it was suggested that they might have some ayan cenami or other black-skinned genes. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Sometimes dark skin suddenly can be from rubbing against metal fencing or wire, such as when trying to get away from another chicken. Other possibilities could be from getting into something staining, such as berries or something found in the barnyard.

That doesn’t look good. What season is it where you are? Do they have any other symptoms like nasal discharge, sneezing, oral discharge, lethargy, etc.?
Hi Eggcessive,
That doesn’t look good. What season is it where you are? Do they have any other symptoms like nasal discharge, sneezing, oral discharge, lethargy, etc.?
Hi ihavesomechickens, it is summer where I am. And no, far as I can tell there has been no change to their behaviour. They're as lively as usual. I haven't noticed them sneezing or getting discharge.

Are these purebred birds? Recently, there have been pictures of similar black coloring bleeding into faces and combs, and it was suggested that they might have some ayan cenami or other black-skinned genes. I wouldn’t worry about it.
Hi eggcessive, we were told what breeds they were when we bought them but weren't told if they're purebred. I'll have to check with the seller next time I see him. It does concern me that this has shown up on all our chickens at the same time (about 2 weeks ago it first started showing) dispite them being different breeds and from different sellers.

Sometimes dark skin suddenly can be from rubbing against metal fencing or wire, such as when trying to get away from another chicken. Other possibilities could be from getting into something staining, such as berries or something found in the barnyard.
There isn't much metal fencing around but it could be possible. The blackening started happening around 2 weeks ago which is the same time that the cherry tree ripened. The chickens do go crazy for the cherries but I'm not sure cherries could stain the wattles and faces black.

Back
Top Bottom