Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bee :
This WR hen on the right is the result of breeding a bigger meat frame into them.

Her she is again about 6mo later after she got some junk in her trunk

A view of her from the front, you can see a little more Cornish influence in her head, she get's around much better than her picture belay's. The young man next to her is her cousin, although he was merely Ok he still saw the soup pot. The poor thing behind them was in full blown molt and she was having a bad feather day and was PO'd that I snapped her pic when she was in such a condition LOL LOL she was taller and also had great proportions.

Last edited:
Quote:

I will begin making some calls then and see what I can come up with, wish me luck. It may take a while but I will get you both an answer. Eggs/chicks/or young adults ??? I will have to see what they have, seeing as how this is the wrong time of the year to be hunting young stock, after a season of heavy culling pickins may be slim. But I will give it the old college try, For you and Fred.

Do it for Fred, Al, he is very interested and he's got a great hen to pair such a bird up with. I can't afford any chicken purchases right now.
wink.png
I just said I was interested because I don't believe I ever saw a rooster that I wanted more than that one of yours. Never saw his equal. But...reality is that I can't afford his equal.

I will begin making some calls then and see what I can come up with, wish me luck. It may take a while but I will get you both an answer. Eggs/chicks/or young adults ??? I will have to see what they have, seeing as how this is the wrong time of the year to be hunting young stock, after a season of heavy culling pickins may be slim. But I will give it the old college try, For you and Fred.

Yup. Make a call or two, but spring is coming. My 'bator is full right now anyhow. No rush Al, anytime. But... Thank you very much.

Do it for Fred, Al, he is very interested and he's got a great hen to pair such a bird up with. I can't afford any chicken purchases right now.
wink.png
I just said I was interested because I don't believe I ever saw a rooster that I wanted more than that one of yours. Never saw his equal. But...reality is that I can't afford his equal.

That may be my dear Bee, why don't you just let AL worry about the details.

Will do Fred........... I am on it, I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
Bee and Fred (and anyone else!) I'd really like to know if you think any of these cockerels are worth keeping for a utility flock. I'm wanting to have some free fertilized eggs to practice with my Christmas incubator I hope to find under the Christmas tree. Note current flock is just a grab bag of different breeds that sounded appealing.

#1, #2 and #3 are about 8 months, they were all "sexed pullets". #4 and #5 are about 4 months old, part of a mid/late summer SR hatch I bought to replace some year old hens I lost to a coyote attack (took both my broodies!!). With the exception of #2 who I really just don't like, there are things I like and don't like about each of them. I've added my thoughts, please tell me if/where I am totally off base.

I like the width on this guy, but not too fond of the tail set and wish he had more curve to the breast.

Not even in the running, really long legs and knock kneed, just tossed him in cause I had the picture.

I like this guy ok, wish he were a little wider overall and had more curve in the lower breast. He's actually the one in with the girls right now.

One of the younger guys, hadn't looked closely at him in about a month, I think I might let him grow out a little more.

This one is always on the move, so hard to photograph. I like the chest but he is a little pinched in the tail...

This is one of the pullets I will probably use, I have four from Cackle, all pretty similar in shape and size.

She sure is wide, Al! Good layer?

Yes she lays very well although she has a bit of a dbl yolk softball sized egg issue this past year, her eggs are just super Ginormious, not all are dbls but 60% are and fist sized.

All the same bird but your question is misleading as different breeds have a different tail set and bred depending on what the breeder has probagated regarding tail set. For these they are to the SOP to the T for WR's. I might mention he is a top winner in the show circle so this may not be a good example for utility birds or common stock. He just looks Regal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom