Chickens for Midwest climate.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FriendlyFlyer, Jul 17, 2011.

1. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Apperantly posting at midnight isn't a good time for responses, I got one but I was hoping maybe more of you out there have some ideas?

I have a small flock of 9 birds, 6 Golden Comets and 3 Black Stars. My parents wanted me to start easy so I did. I love my babies, but next spring I want to add some beauty to the flock. I've done quite a bit of research and have decided to get some Black Sumatras, Dutch Bantams, and Japanese Bantams. I chose these breeds because (with the exception of the shy Sumatras) all of them are quite firendly. The downfall to the bantams is that I'm not sure they can hold up through Iowa winters (-20F for days at times).
    I want flashy yet friendly bantams that can also make it through cold winters. Any ideas? I'm more into the sleek kind of look as opposed to the fat (no offense) kind of look, although I do kind of like the look of Brahma Bantams. Any ideas for bantams or tips on helping the fragile ones through the winter? Thank you!!!!! Thank you!!!!! Thank you!!!!!

2. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    You need to be careful with these small bantams. If you do not have a well insulated coop you are at least going to get comb damage and quite probably they will freeze to death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by