Chickens for the Texas Heat

I live in Texas also and I know a lot of people with a variety of breeds. You could raise pretty much whatever breed you wanted as long as you give them good ventilation, shade and plenty of water.

I do not have a lot of space, as they are in a closed-in chicken tractor, so I have not yet decided whether I could hatch chicks or not. My chicken tractor has a yard space of 8' x 5' and I am running 15 chickens in it. So a rooster would take up space and feed and not increase egg production. So, I am open to suggestions, but I do not see how I could raise chicks.
Another thing, I was told to NEVER introduce new pullets into an old batch, or the older ladies would peck them to death.

Thanks
Dman

You really don't have much space. Is 8-foot by 5-foot the size of the chicken run? How large is your coop?

That seems small for 15 chickens.

Is there anyway you can let the chickens free range in the yard?

I am sure Buckeyes would be alright in the Texas heat if shade and water are provided in the summer, as mentioned.

But the breed description on this website states, "They are a very active bird that prefer to free range though a large coop with run is suitable."

With the small coop that is planned, I don't think Buckeyes would be a good choice.

Actually I don't think Rhode Island Reds are a good choice in that small space either. I think he's going to have problems with hens pecking each other as they compete for space. Most breeds won't do well if they are crowded together.

I am sure Buckeyes would be alright in the Texas heat if shade and water are provided in the summer, as mentioned.

But the breed description on this website states, "They are a very active bird that prefer to free range though a large coop with run is suitable."

With the small coop that is planned, I don't think Buckeyes would be a good choice.

Actually I don't think Rhode Island Reds are a good choice in that small space either. I think he's going to have problems with hens pecking each other as they compete for space. Most breeds won't do well if they are crowded together.

Agreed. That is much too small for 15 of anything, even bantams. He's going to have pecking problems for sure.

Agreed. That is much too small for 15 of anything, even bantams. He's going to have pecking problems for sure.

When the girls get a bit older and less of an attractive for hawk snacks, they will be allowed in a larger pen with plenty of room.
This is only for if we leave to go run errands or something where we can't keep an eye on them that they can still have some space.

Thanks for your concern though :)
Dman

You really don't have much space. Is 8-foot by 5-foot the size of the chicken run? How large is your coop?

That seems small for 15 chickens.

Is there anyway you can let the chickens free range in the yard?
The run is 8' x 5' by 3' tall. and the house is 4' x 5' by 4' tall (two stories) a colossal structure for a supposedly movable chicken tractor. and when the girls are a bit older, they will be allowed to range in a open top pen that is much bigger.

Buff Orpington -- 3 eggs a week

But remember, there are individual variations, so some individual hens in a breed may be better or worse than average.

sorry, I know we are a little past this statement, but I also really have to disagree with this...my orps have always been among my best layers. I have had many many hatchery quality ones, from different hatcheries (and one from a breeder) and I always get a minimum of four to five eggs a week from them. They are wonderful all around birds.

Another thing, I was told to NEVER introduce new pullets into an old batch, or the older ladies would peck them to death.

I wouldn't say never. I add new birds of all ages to my flock all the time, and everything works out fine. The pecking order can be harsh, but there are ways you can help new intros thrive in the old flock. Of course, the first rule is always always quarantine. Period. Second, I always try to introduce new flock members in pairs or trios (safety in numbers, buddy system, etc whatever you want to call it, the reason for doing so is that if the orignial birds decide to lay down the law harshly on the new guys (which I have never had happen), having more than one newbie will delfect their attention). Third, before any face to face intros happen, the newbies are housed in the intro pen for a couple of weeks (more or less depending on the birds and their body language, but usually it is far less). This is a smaller wire mesh pen butted up to the main run so the birds can see eachother without hurting one another. Once they are comfortable being around eachother, they begin free ranging together under supervision. This gives them a soft intro into the pecking order. Usually, I only have to do this once or twice. Once this can be called sucessful, the new birds are put in the main run with the entire flock, with plenty escape routes (I use a dog carrier, and a half wall under the nest box area) and supervision for usually an hour or so.

Usually the whole process takes one to two weeks total, but that is mainly because I save any big steps for times when I am home, and I don't have to go into work.

Anyway, here in Texas, we DO have to watch out for the heat, but so far, I have never lost one to heat, and I have had mainly dual purpose breeds (they are my favorite. Big, Meaty, fluffy, friendly birds that lay well).

We would love to see pictures of your set up, and your new birds!

Thanks so much! I will definitely try your method and recommend it to my "never introduce" friends. I will post pics of my chicks when they arrive and pics of my coop later. I am still building it. It is a rather colossal project for a 16 year old, but my dad has showed me the use of all the tools since i was 10. It is my first big framing project though.

Dman

Sounds like you've really got it together then, Dman! You aren't rushing into this at all like I'd feared. Mine originally had a setup exactly like you describe. 4x8 pen with a cover for when I couldn't watch them (I have a picture of that pen with a hawk on top), good sized coop for night, the run of the yard when I'm out there. And they always followed me everywhere. They still do. The older ones have sort of taught the newcomers to do it. They follow me around until I've been out there an hour or so and haven't done anything interesting, then wander away. When I take them to the front, they won't stay out there unless I'm with them.

Good for you and your dad for making sure you know how to use tools!!! It's too much of a "lost art" with these kids around here. Both my son and an daughter know how to use a hammer and power tools but none of their friends do.

Back
Top Bottom