Chickens Found Dead -- Need Food

Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly, If you cannot afford to get food for yourselves-cook those dead birds up-feed them back to the chickens-wait a few days and start butchering your chickens-if you can't afford to feed them they are useless to eat when starved and skinny. They will still "look" healthy for a while because thats what feathers do-fluff up. they will be very skinny underneath... With the temps getting colder they will not find food at all anymore and you will HAVE to feed them-Id butcher them -while they do have meat on their bones from free ranging-so you have a freezer full of meat and no chickens to feed through winter-

The Food assistance office will actually come to people when they are unable to drive. Please ask them about that program... I would also sell off some of these birds so that you can feed the rest. Without the chicken feed, they will starve and not make a good meat bird. Best of wishes for you. Nancy

BTW Jabowery
welcome-byc.gif
and glad you found us. I'm sorry your fist post is under such dire circumstances. You will find that most BYCers ar very kind and helpful. Why don't you introduce yourself on the Member introductions page.
smile.png

There have been several interesting threads around on less expensive and alternative ways to feed your flock. Do some looking around and maybe you can find some ways to keep your remaining hens in top form.

jabowery - to answer your question; if you found the bird already stiff it had been dead for a bit and not bled out; therefore not usually used for human consumption. The suggestions to gut, boil and feed back to your birds are good. My guess is that that they may have died due to lack of water(?)
Welcome to BYC, I hope we are able to help you in your quest for self suffciency . . . just ignore the idiots.

Many people feed odd things to their chickens... and if your comfortable with it why not, they will eat anything... someone here posted about feeding KFC to theirs
hmm.png

Anyway in your situation I would probably cull and feed both the chickens and the dogs, you aren't sure what the reason for death is so I wouldn't feed it to my family ... try and retain a roo and some hens to continue the cycle.

BTW, isn't there something out there which would help you get the gas you need to travel into your town for some assistance or perhaps there is some service which will have them come to you... what about the salvation army or some other service organization, they really are there to help.

I wish you were close to me... I would have helped you and your family, but I am sure there is someone near to you who could if you could just see yourself clear to asking?
hugs.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Feed the dead birds to the chickens. We feed our chickens all of our table scraps.

Can you afford scratch? If not you should go ahead and butcher the flock. If you can't feed them what they need they wont lay eggs anyway. Eggs are so cheap, that the only reason to raise your own chickens is for the quality of the eggs they lay for you.

BTW, if you have a computer and your provider isn't too expensive I would keep the internet. You may be able to earn money or find a job. Besides it gives you something to do and some hope in your life.

Quote:
1. I vote for cooking and feeding to the dogs, hence they get hungry and start killing for themselves.
2. Is there not a neighbor nearby that you can carpool to the food bank with? or a friend that is willing to come get you?
3. If you absolutely need to slaughter for food, why not keep at least a dozen pullets and a rooster so you can have eggs for now and in the spring to hatch. Thus replenishing your flock?
4. If feed for the chickens is a huge issue, research what YOU can do to assist them in foraging for food. Go out and turn over logs, find those hidden gold mines of bugs for them. If you have dated home canned pantry items, cook them up and give them to the chickens. Get creative!

Hope it works out for you.

We don't know the exact circumstances someone might be in. We have a friend who works but his wife is unable to right now because of pregnancy complications. Thats unpaid time off work right now. They have internet and cable because his employer provides it. ( he works for his ISP) They have taken some really drastic action to feed themselves. Some might judge the fact that she got pregnant or they have cable and internet and cell phones as them not having the right priorities. They do, all these extras are job provided and unexpected turns happen.

i would feed these back to the flock, butcher some to cut feed costs and provide meat and provide your layers some crumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom