Chickens get lethargic and then die

Max Pringle

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2018
I am new to keeping chickens. I have had my chickens for about 3 months. A couple of months ago one of my chickens got really lethargic. I noticed it was moving slowly and would let me pick it up without trying to get away or flap its wings. Not knowing if it was sick and if it would get better, I did not do anything just to see if it would improve on its own. The next morning I went out and it was dead. I kept an eye on the rest of the chickens and they did not seem to be affected. Recently, I got three more chickens and add them to the flock. Last night I went out and noticed one of the newer chickens acting the way the other had. Then this morning I went out and it was dead. Has anyone else had that problem? What do you think it may be? How do I keep this from happening to the other chickens?

I let them free range in the day and coop them up at night. The chickens do not seem to be attacking each other. There were a total of 16 chickens before this happened and there were multiples of each breed. I also got a rooster.

Check for mites and lice.

How old are the birds?
What feed are you using? Are you giving treats?
Any odd things like trouble walking?

Can you post pics of the remaining birds include their ages.

Get a necropsy from your local state poultry lab. They can figure out what your chickens had. Unless you want to keep losing birds, I would not introduce any more birds to your flock since your chickens are disease carriers (If it's not something like mites or lice which is more treatable). That is what got your new bird sick.
I hope the experts chime in on what to do. Good luck!

Since we are not there, it's impossible to know exactly what is going on. Since it has only happened to two of them, I wouldn't jump on n the "your chickens are diseased" bandwagon just yet. Since they free range, I would look around and make sure there isn't something they're getting into. I would also check for mites and lice. How long after you got the new ones did you lose the second bird?

Since we are not there, it's impossible to know exactly what is going on. Since it has only happened to two of them, I wouldn't jump on n the "your chickens are diseased" bandwagon just yet. Since they free range, I would look around and make sure there isn't something they're getting into. I would also check for mites and lice. How long after you got the new ones did you lose the second bird?

It has been about 2 weeks since I got my new birds before the newer one died. I have not checked for mites or lice but I definitely will do that!

Back
Top Bottom