1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens get their first ever pumpkin!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pixie74943, Dec 4, 2009.

1. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    They are currently cowering on the other side of the pen because they're scared of the big bad pumpkin.. So scared that my Bully hen isnt even beating up the runt, and she is standing UNDERNEATH her... Lolz

This pumpkin also has some garlic paste on it (for health value, and stickiness) with scratch sprinkled overtop... They are PETRIFIED!!!

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

cut it open for them

3. chris_m90731

chris_m90731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    once i shot a pumpkin with a shotgun and it eviscerated the pumpkin and the chickens ate it. [​IMG]

edited for content.

Remember this is a family board no swearing / foul language and no inappropriate "Adult" topics.​

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2009
  4. lngrid

lngrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Smart chickens!!! I mean, unless we've been eating it, don't we cower from fatheads with garlic breath?

Actually, your post has me laughing out loud![​IMG]

5. pixie74943

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Quote:It has 3 hole of various sizes where the garlic paste and scratch are.. and its not working.. lol.. scawy pumpkin

6. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Smash it into really small pieces...if its tiny, they wont be scared of it, right???

7. pixie74943

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    3 hours.. still petrified... [​IMG] der...

If I reach in and even TOUCH it, they scream like I'm coming after them with an axe tsss

8. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

hey I am from Sydney, Australia..but am living in Atlanta Georgia...new to having chickens...but mine don't really like pumpkin. I have given them three and they don't really eat it (yes- ismash it up for them and everything)...I did give them the huge turkey carcass and they stripped it clean to the bone by lunchtme...I also gave them raw ground meat that I had and it was like they were just given 'Chicken Crack!' they ate that in seconds.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    When it comes to pumpkin, my chickens love Pumpkin Pie. After Thanksgiving, I gave them a couple slices, because, well, I forgot to add sugar to the pie. [​IMG] They surely didn't mind though!

As for raw pumpkin, I've got one sitting around for them to pick at, but I have not smashed it. I'm actually preferring that whatever happens, the seeds will go into the ground and grow us a new plant.

10. Spore

Spore Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2009
    Oregon
    Mine gobble up the seeds but leave the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by