1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens hanging out by back door

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KazaQ, Jul 18, 2016.

1. KazaQ

KazaQ New Egg

May 13, 2016
    Baton rouge louisiana
    So i have 3 birds who are about 8 weeks old now. I've been letting them free range in my backyard for 2 weeks, but they have decided that their favorite spot to sit is my back door.

Ive become used to the idea of them pooping everywhere, but its a little rediculous to have it in large quantites on the rug!

I think i might have to put some chicken wire on my gate, but i really just dont understand why they prefer to be there instead of out in the yard picking around for bugs.

Does anyone have sone insight on this?

UPDATE:
    Go to the link here for pictures.
    http://artist-collective.net/blog/index.php/2016/07/20/chickens-at-the-gate/

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  2. Azuriu

Azuriu New Egg

Jul 18, 2016
    Illinois
    My two hens do the same thing! Mine hang out there because its cooler (It's in the shade) and they're usually waiting for me to bring them out treats. Maybe yours are the same way?

3. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Our chickens are very aware of when we open our back door .... yes, treats!! [​IMG]

4. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]My birds come to the back deck and STARE while we are having supper (sliding glass door).
    They look absolutely pitiful! They know where mom is at all times, I swear. They will even peck the glass if I am taking too long!
    They are treat hounds in a feathered coat!
    I have said this before and will say it again-- when I retire, I am writing a book.
    It's already titled: Chickens on the Back Porch.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They know where the food bringer comes from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by