Chickens Hardly Laying Eggs

Awestruck

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2012
I have 4 hens, 4 years old, and they have been very productive in laying eggs. Two are Americaunas, 1 is Black Star, and the other is New Hampshire Red. One of the Americaunas has been laying eggs without shells for the past year or so. Recently, I have given them some supplements to help with that, as well as oyster shell.
The New Hampshire Red still lays eggs, probably every other day. The Americaunas laid eggs once or twice this week. The Black Star hasn't laid an egg in a couple of weeks.
All of them appear fine. It has been raining, thundering, etc. on and off for the past couple of weeks and I don't know if that has anything to do with this or not. It looks like the one who lays the shell less egg laid a normal egg today.
I don't know if they are going through their 'change' so to speak, or if they were spooked, or, if they are just starting to molt. Or, something else?
Anyone else have this problem?
Mine usually start molting in late September or October.
This is a pretty sudden problem, not something gradual. Thanks for any help on this.

I have 4 hens, 4 years old, and they have been very productive in laying eggs. Two are Americaunas, 1 is Black Star, and the other is New Hampshire Red. One of the Americaunas has been laying eggs without shells for the past year or so. Recently, I have given them some supplements to help with that, as well as oyster shell.
The New Hampshire Red still lays eggs, probably every other day. The Americaunas laid eggs once or twice this week. The Black Star hasn't laid an egg in a couple of weeks.
All of them appear fine. It has been raining, thundering, etc. on and off for the past couple of weeks and I don't know if that has anything to do with this or not. It looks like the one who lays the shell less egg laid a normal egg today.
I don't know if they are going through their 'change' so to speak, or if they were spooked, or, if they are just starting to molt. Or, something else?
Anyone else have this problem?
Mine usually start molting in late September or October.
This is a pretty sudden problem, not something gradual. Thanks for any help on this.
They are just old. Once old, egg production may drop. 4 years is pretty old for a high production breed

they are old, but yeah a spat of bad weather may throw them out of their normal routine, and breaking routine usually cuts laying down ..

Chickens Hardly Laying Eggs​

Is it hot where you are?
My older hens slow down with the egg production when temps rise above 85 F/30 C.
I replace their early afternoon Scratch Grains treat with a wet mash made with their crumble feed.
2 Tbsp of dry feed per chicken, a half cup for 4 chickens.
I mix it with a half cup of cold water and serve immediately.
20190826_132741.jpg

Pre heat wave production resumes in about a week. GC

Back
Top Bottom