chickens have watery poop

DeeAnn5

Songster
10 Years
Sep 2, 2013
NW Missouri
Hello nice people. I have 5 hens (including 2 seniors) and they stopped laying altogether about 1 month ago...I thought maybe they were molting and didn't worry too much about it...I've seen a lot of feathers laying around. Anyway, so I went ahead and gave the amprollium for 3 days in their water and suspended it today. Looks like they all have diarrhea now also. What is going on and what do I need to do? (Background - I took one to the vet about 6 months ago and she was diagnosed with coccidia. I treated them with the amprollium and everything was fine. I didn't want to give it to them again because it's been so hot I didn't want to mess around with their water. But now it's cooled off here in Missouri.)

Amprolium treatment dosage is five full days and wait a week, and treat for another five full days to get any oocytes that may have developed into active coccidia. You want to mix two teaspoons amprolium (liquid) to one gallon fresh water, mixed fresh each day.

Amprolium isn't really a medication in the sense it kills the protozoa. It's merely a B-vitamin (thiamine) blocker that the coccidia feeds on. Be sure you aren't negating the effectiveness by giving vitamins during treatment.

Hmm. OK. I'm not giving vitamins, so that part is good. Thank you for this response. I used the powdered 20% Corid type of amprollium, following the instructions on an earlier post on this site... Another thing I have done is kept the chicken area as clean and dry as possible all Summer...

Hello nice people. I have 5 hens (including 2 seniors) and they stopped laying altogether about 1 month ago...I thought maybe they were molting and didn't worry too much about it...I've seen a lot of feathers laying around. Anyway, so I went ahead and gave the amprollium for 3 days in their water and suspended it today. Looks like they all have diarrhea now also. What is going on and what do I need to do? (Background - I took one to the vet about 6 months ago and she was diagnosed with coccidia. I treated them with the amprollium and everything was fine. I didn't want to give it to them again because it's been so hot I didn't want to mess around with their water. But now it's cooled off here in Missouri.)
How old are the hens?

It's possible they are all molting, do you see new pin feathers coming in?
Watery poop - photos?

I agree, the Corid won't hurt them, so if you already started it, continue your treatment to at least 5-7days to finish that out. For powdered Corid use 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon of water. Make this the only source of drinking water.

If possible, get another fecal float to check for worms.

Have you been giving them any treats that might be causing the loose stool?

Since it's been so hot, your chickens will drink alot of water and will have watery diarrhea. Now that it has cooled off, give it a little time for the feces to go back to normal.
You can give your birds buttermilk mixed with chopped boiled egg in their feed or just mix buttermilk in their feed to stop the diarrhea if it continues.

How old are the hens?

It's possible they are all molting, do you see new pin feathers coming in?
Watery poop - photos?

I agree, the Corid won't hurt them, so if you already started it, continue your treatment to at least 5-7days to finish that out. For powdered Corid use 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon of water. Make this the only source of drinking water.

If possible, get another fecal float to check for worms.

Have you been giving them any treats that might be causing the loose stool?
Thanks for your response. Actually after the Corid I prophylactically administered a dewormer also, to cover all bases. My 2 seniors are about 8 years old and the other 3 are about 1 1/2 years old (2017 chicks given to me from a friend). My hens still aren't laying...and still have diarrhea. I don't even know how they can survive this diarrhea. I do give treats but it's like 1/4 cup Black oil seeds, 1/4 c. cracked corn day for all to share, with shredded carrot, kale. I tried giving them pumpkin seeds but they only eat raw, not unsalted roasted...Thank you for sharing your knowledge. My husband was in the hospital and I haven't really been able to do much for the chickens. But yesterday I actually scrubbed the chicken tractor and raked the chicken yard. These are city chickens - pets with benefits - not meat birds.

Since it's been so hot, your chickens will drink alot of water and will have watery diarrhea. Now that it has cooled off, give it a little time for the feces to go back to normal.
You can give your birds buttermilk mixed with chopped boiled egg in their feed or just mix buttermilk in their feed to stop the diarrhea if it continues.
Thank you. I will do this now.

Thanks for your response. Actually after the Corid I prophylactically administered a dewormer also, to cover all bases. My 2 seniors are about 8 years old and the other 3 are about 1 1/2 years old (2017 chicks given to me from a friend). My hens still aren't laying...and still have diarrhea. I don't even know how they can survive this diarrhea. I do give treats but it's like 1/4 cup Black oil seeds, 1/4 c. cracked corn day for all to share, with shredded carrot, kale. I tried giving them pumpkin seeds but they only eat raw, not unsalted roasted...Thank you for sharing your knowledge. My husband was in the hospital and I haven't really been able to do much for the chickens. But yesterday I actually scrubbed the chicken tractor and raked the chicken yard. These are city chickens - pets with benefits - not meat birds.
Can you post some photos of the poop?
What did you deworm them with (Name and dosage)?

Try cutting back on the treats a little and see that they are eating their normal poultry feed.

I'm sorry that your husband is unwell, I hope things get better for you soon.

Back
Top Bottom