Chickens Having Breathing Problems Over Last Few Weeks, new symptoms, please help!

sziemba

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2020
Over the past month it seems my flock has been having a lot of health problems. My fat hen(2yo Barred rock), sorry sweetie, started having breathing problems, showing some of the signs of gapeworm. So, I the did the first round of treatment for both my hens and chicks(14 weeks) for gapeworm using Safeguard goat dewormer (fenbendazole) 3ml/gallon. I then moved both groups in together. A week later I did the second round of treatment and finished it 4 days ago. They seem to have been improving but then tonight I went out and one of my hens (not the fat one)(also 2yo Barred rock) was sneezing. She then stopped sneezing and went back to eating, but after about a minute if frantic pecking she picked her head up and “gulped”. Then she repeated the eating and gulping. I had forgotten to fill the feeder when it got empty(aprox 6 hours ago), but they have been free ranging all that time. Did she just get dust in her nose and then was really hungry, or is there something wrong with her? Please help, I just don’t know what’s been going on.

Last edited:
I just went out to check on them and another hen(2yo New Hampshire) was pecking the ground, them extended her neck, opening her mouth really wide (gaping), then retracted her neck, shook her head, and continued pecking. She did this several process several times, and then stopped and continued like normal.
It really seems like my flock has gape worm, but I've already treated for it.

Last edited:
I just went out again, the fat one was gaping this time, only for a few minutes though. I have now idea what is wrong.
It seems like they've been preening a lot recently, also.

Last edited:
I use mulch in the run and a mixture of pine shavings and compressed pine pellets in the coop. The chickens who are having problems barely go in the coop, and sleep in the run.
They currently get Dumor 15% Grower Finisher. They have access to water in the coop, the run, and near their favorite dust bath area. I don't know of any discharge, but I haven't really looked.
I didn't end up checking for any issue from the other thread, as she seemed to improving. She's had one similar thing happen since, but I think that it's just getting overheated.

The latest problem is with a different hen. She hasn't been laying in the nest box, but somewhere else. Yesterday I took the eggs from her, and put her in a nest box, but as I was carrying her, her breathing was audible and wheezy. She left the nest box immediately and had a clucking fit to inform me of her displeasure. Later on she was sneezing, and at bed time she had one eye closed, and was swaying her head around. This morning the eye is still closed, I saw her pecking at some grass, but I've also seen her laying down with her head tucked into her feathers.

They all showed signs of improvement when they were on the fenbendazole, then went downhill once it was taken away, then improved some, and are now going downhill again. The fenbedazole defiantly helped, but it seems like it managed the symptoms, but not the actual problem.

I use mulch in the run and a mixture of pine shavings and compressed pine pellets in the coop. The chickens who are having problems barely go in the coop, and sleep in the run.
They currently get Dumor 15% Grower Finisher. They have access to water in the coop, the run, and near their favorite dust bath area. I don't know of any discharge, but I haven't really looked.
I didn't end up checking for any issue from the other thread, as she seemed to improving. She's had one similar thing happen since, but I think that it's just getting overheated.

The latest problem is with a different hen. She hasn't been laying in the nest box, but somewhere else. Yesterday I took the eggs from her, and put her in a nest box, but as I was carrying her, her breathing was audible and wheezy. She left the nest box immediately and had a clucking fit to inform me of her displeasure. Later on she was sneezing, and at bed time she had one eye closed, and was swaying her head around. This morning the eye is still closed, I saw her pecking at some grass, but I've also seen her laying down with her head tucked into her feathers.

They all showed signs of improvement when they were on the fenbendazole, then went downhill once it was taken away, then improved some, and are now going downhill again. The fenbedazole defiantly helped, but it seems like it managed the symptoms, but not the actual problem.
Where are you located and what are your daytime temps?
Are they holding their wings out slightly?

Back
Top Bottom