Chickens in a classroom?

jcraven

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 18, 2010
I teach agriscience in a suburban setting near KCMO. I am very excited about getting kids opportunities for hands-on experience and FFA/4H show opportunities and think chickens might be a good fit.

I am really limited on space at my school. My big question (and it may be a dumb one): Is there any way possible to raise a few bantams in a classroom setting? Too dirty/smelly/noisy?

Any suggestions and ideas are greatly and sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes/Yes and Yes but i think it cold be done if you keep up on cleanliness! But I would think about who will check on them over the weekends??? Pros and Cons!!!!

If they are both hens, maybe on wire floors? People let ducks walk around their house, so chickens may not be so bad if caged and cleaned.

It would be an oppurtunity for the FFA'ers to step up to the plate!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Then your big buff teenagers will be able to dress them everyday, with a dreamy look on their face, maybe stroll through a pasture filled with pink flowers?
lol.png

I have my birds in my classroom quite often and I also do hatching in there. I don't keep the birds in my classroom for long periods though, not for the sake of the students but for the birds. They need fresh air and places to dirt bathe and scratch around. When they are in my classroom I have a large cage for them made out of PVC pipe and chicken wire, it's like a small tractor. I put up the link for some Instructables on another thread that might help you.

Only if you can build a pen outside the classroom window so they can get out in the fresh air, scratch about, etc. during school hours - as much as possible, basically, then home on weekends with you.

Former teacher, here
big_smile.png

If you could get a small bantam, such as a pair of sebrights, they should be no messier than a pair of large parrots. You can use a rabbit J hopper for feed, and a 32 ounce water bottle for water. This way you can leave for the weekend and they will still be ok. They do smell a bit, but if you don't give them too many treats (loose stool potential), and keep up after them, it isn't that bad and I think can be done. However, check with the school, since I know some don't allow classroom pets.

Thanks for all the helpful information!
Would bantam Orpingtons, Plymouth Rocks, Australorps or Wyandottes be too big?
What kind of "Coop" setup would you recommend? Would an indoor rabbit hutch w/wood chip-lined dropping tray work?

Back
Top Bottom