Chickens in a trance

Susannepwin

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2020
Hello!

My name is Susanne from Richmond, VA. My husband A.J. and I are first time chicken "parents". We got 5 chickens about a month ago....two Buff Orpingtons named Gertie (my high school was St. Gertrude, so had to name one as such) and Henrietta, a Barred Rock named Winifred, a Silver Laced named Ruby and a Golden Comet named Bittie. They are all between 6 and 7 months old. I am loving how much I am learning about them and how to care for them every single day! I am so glad I found this community online so I can refer to this wonderful group when I have questions. I have a question and I think I have figured out the answer, but wanted to see if any of you have had this experience......and to let me know if I am on the right track. I am always mimicking sounds so I have been copying their clucks and trills and "purrs" all the time. Yesterday, they seemed very interested in the crows and hawks they could hear nearby. We have them in a totally enclosed coop right now until we get to know them better, no hanging out free range yet. Anyway, I mimicked the sound of the crows and they became very alert. I then started cooing with a trill and they became more alert. I then quieted that down to just a trill with air coming out of my mouth, a calming and quiet sound. I kept doing it and they all crowded around me and froze. I thought it was interesting so I when I checked on them first thing this morning, I did it again and they all did the same thing, almost freezing in place as long as I was making this sound. So interesting!! The only thing I found online is that it might be similar to the sound a mother hen makes to her chicks when danger is around so they will stay still and quiet. Anyone know about this??

Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! That is interesting about the chickens responding to noises you make. My chickens have never done that. :welcome :welcome

My father was a master of imitating and making sounds, I got a little bit of that from him. I can do a wicked cricket sound :) I will have to make a video of my trilling/cooing sound and the affect it has on them and put it on here for you all to see. I know there has to be others out there that have experienced this. I was thinking maybe it would be a good way to catch them if they are free ranging and won't come to me?? I haven't let them out for that yet, still worried and not experienced enough to trust I could protect them. Our house is on a busy road and we are not fenced in.....foxes, hawks, etc..... We are adding to their coop this weekend to give them a big run. They seem pretty calm and content right now, but I want them to have more space and fun things to do in the run.

Back
Top Bottom