CHickens in buckets...who knew?

umanduhbree

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Lacona, IA
So my WHOLE family came out to Iowa this March and helped me build my first coop. I was trying to do this cheap, so we used a lot of left over material that we found around. When it came time for the nesting boxes, we didn't have enough wood. So my dad suggested 5 gallon buckets. He said when he was growing up on the ranch their coop had buckets that were screwed to the wall because it was easy to clean and cheap. So we went a got 5. I ordered my chicks in march and for the last 5 months I have been fretting about whether or not a chicken would indeed nest in a bucket.

102695_100_1221.jpg

My chickens started laying two weeks ago, and most of the eggs were in the corner of the coop on the floor. I thought for sure my hens didn't approve of those nasty green buckets. Then a few days ago we couldn't find any eggs. We looked aroundthe yard, but none were to be seen. We thought it was their off day or the heat, but then my fiancee happened to walk into the coop to find a hen nesting in the bucket. It took some coaxing, but we got her off and in the wood chips were the missing eggs. So my dad was right, chickens will lay in buckets. And the best part is the fun picture it makes.

102695_cimg7739.jpg

Buckets for mine too. I even vultures a box for them to go into with a platform covering the top. All of my buckets fit snug with no wobble, but can also be removed without a drill. The double layer table box is mounted, buckets are not.
97592_imag0631.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
Love that idea. How ingenious. I built mine from wood but I really like the bucket idea. Makes it unique and colorful too. I will definately use the buckets on my next coop. Father knows best.

Back
Top Bottom