chickens in garden?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NCricky, May 29, 2010.

1. NCricky

NCricky Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2009
    If I fence in our garden and let the chickens run there do you think they will eat up the garden or just bugs in there? I know they will pick on a tomato. I use to let my chickens free range but they do like the new flower beds too much and follow me around the yard worst than a dog.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I know that they will just tear things up!! I wouldn't let them in there if you still want to keep your plants!! [​IMG]

Missi

3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I have tomatoes and pepper on my plants now. I have been letting my little pullets (2 1/2 mos) free range while I can watch them the last few weeks. They haven't bothered the plants at all. They have taken some dirt baths and scratched around in the dirt around the plants. They mostly just look for bugs. The plants are taller than the pullets so that probably helps keep them from being trampled. They did eat dh's papaya plant that was sprouting back. It kinda died off over the winter but kept sprouting back and the chickens keep eating it. I had to put some hardware cloth around it. They haven't bothered my baby bananas yet though and they are completely edible.

Last edited: May 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by