Chickens in Hartselle, AL -- variance?

gbeauvin

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 22, 2010
Hi guys! We're considering moving to Hartselle, AL and I was looking at the City Chicken Ordinances.

They have an "animals" section with separate livestock and fowl sections. The fowl section states :
-------------------
Sec. 10-101. - Unlawful keeping.

It shall be unlawful to keep or maintain any chickens, ducks, geese, guineas or other fowls in the city except for personal use as specifically provided for within the "AG" (Agricultural) district. The raising of fowl for purposes other than personal use is prohibited within the corporate limits of the city.
-------------------

The ordinance goes on to say that they can't run at large, must be 30 feet from a dwelling (unless you have written consent from every dweller), and that their coop can't be stanky.

Then down in zoning, the Residential Zoning makes no mention of fowl, though it mentions horses. The AG zone includes "poultry-raising for personal use, not including any operation in which poultry is sold" as a permitted use.

Would there be any point in applying for a variance to the R-1 zoning district to allow chickens ala the AG zone? Presumably I'd talk to my neighbors first and hopefully get their support. My wife (and co-workers) think I'm crazy, but I'd really to have a smallish flock of backyard chickens when we buy our own home. I thought about putting a limit of 6 hens and no roosters in the variance request, but I'm not sure it would make any difference. I'm not really interested in raising chicks in a backyard operation, so I could live with flunking "chicken math".

thanks!

-GB

I talked to the zoning office for myself and they said no variance is possible, however if no one complains they'd never know. We're planning on making friends with the neighbors and having chickens anyways! Also, he said there was talk of changing the zoning to allow a certain number of chickens. Maybe we can find people to push for that!

Back
Top Bottom