Chickens in Laos - pic heavy

thumbsup.gif

Good trip - Thanks!

Lynn
frow.gif

Great photos. I live in Laos (originally from Singapore, lived in the US for 20 years...folks live in BC, Canada) so moving to Laos was a major culture shock for me. I have a house in the heart of "town" and am awakened every morning by the incessant crowing of roosters from about 4am every day.

Chickens are very popular here. They may seem appear feral here but they are actually owned by people...everyone pretty much knows which chickens are theirs but they roam the streets. Just like dogs, they are all cared for by someone but it's not "natural" to lock up an animal here. In villages, cows, pigs, goats and other livestock are allowed to roam around...much to the chagrin of those of us who are paranoid about stepping into their droppings. It's crazy but that's the way we SE Asians live...

Fancy chickens are also becoming popular here. Pet shops stock more chickens than anything else (other than songbirds). Recently, silky chickens have become the craze here. Bantams are very popular too. I may soon swing the chicken route and get me some silkies myself.

Thank you for sharing the pics.

Back
Top Bottom