Chickens in new run.... Ideas for toys and things to do

kittykat2003uk

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2011
Gloucester, UK
My chickens have just been moved into a a run about 28 ft long by about 22ft wide
ep.gif
I know but i hate seeing them in a small house/run.
Anyways with all this room i thought maybe someone might have ideas on things to do to keep them busy. I have put a branch in there for a perch and a pile of broken twigs sticks for the bugs to hide in so they can eat em
lau.gif

smile.png

I like to hang corn on the cob as a treat. I have screw eyes that I just screw into the cob and hang from a rope. Keeps them fairly busy.
Nice sized run.
thumbsup.gif

I recommend one (or two!) of those colorful kid's sandboxes that has a cover
cool.png

They are in the shape of boats, crabs, turtles, etc. and all having great covers for keeping that sand dry.

I have a kid's thing for them to perch on, it has windchime-type things and a colorful curtain.
big_smile.png

I have two real wind chimes hanging from the solid ceiling of the run ~ they make a nice tinkling sound on breezy days. One is a rooster chime that was on clearance at Lowe's
clap.gif
score
clap.gif

Cinder blocks are good to keep their nails filed ~ you can stack 'em like steps or prop them up to hold a 2x4 or long length log between. You can give them pinecones and pine needles to pick at & short grass clippings from the lawn (no lawn chemicals please!). I have bamboo so I am using bamboo leaves as run bedding, they like to peck around when I dump a new bag in.

This morning we moved a massive old dry double stump today into our run to perch up on.
We have a suspended log in the run as a swing/perch.

I also built a fantastic salad bar that they ate up in no time.

Good luck with your new run area!

That long white box up near the top right side of this byc page that says Search next to it has been awesome for us.
It searches every post of every forum on the byc site
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
In the wintertime I often throw straw down on the ground. They love to scratch through it. It also helps keep the coop from getting stinky...at the end of the week I start raking it out.

I put a kiddie wading pool in the hot weather. I like to float greens on the water. They love standing in it and keeping cool.

I have some firewood stacked outside. Sometimes I take a log into the run and peel the bark off. What a FEAST!!

They seem to love any treat so I make sure I treat them daily, different times of the day. I like to keep them guessing. (Yeah, I know, I give them a lot of credit.) May be scraps, may be sunflower seeds...whatever I have.

I let mine out to free range several hours when I'm home. They seem to be happier when they've had a chance to get out.

I set up treats at different levels - right now corn and lettuce - scatter a little food on the ground, throw in grass clippings or leaves, re-arrange their "furniture". And then give them a couple hours in a tractor after work.

kitykat - I LOVE IT!

yes, I give them treats too at different times of the day if I can. Always throwing someting on the run floor for them to scratch thru and play with. Branches, corn husks with some left over corn from the grill, etc. this fall I cant wait to put in a bunch of leaves!

I also let mine out for a few hours a day, on the weekends when I am home they are out all day they are hilarious to watch wander around in the pasture and my flower beds.

Good luck with entertaining your birds!

have just put in some left over bark from the garden cut back the bush from the back underneath so they can get in there and scratch around and a blackberry stem with fruit on.

I used to run a dairy farm and we had to give it up last year its not the same as them running around a farm, but its good
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom