Chickens in the Coop?

heathercara

Chirping
Jan 18, 2019
Santa Cruz Mountains
First-time chicken owner - 6 standards, 4 bantams. Most of my chicks were shipped March 25, so about 5 1/2 weeks old. Two are a week older (2 of the standards) so are 6 1/2 weeks old.

I live in Northern CA, and temps during the day are the 60s-70s, and the lows at night are 49 - 51. They are inside in a bedroom, and I've been leaving the windows open all day and night to get them acclimated, plus they have the Brinsea. They have officially become stinky poop machines lol

When can I put them in the coop?
Should I shut the coop windows at night so they can stay warmer and open them in the day for air?

Also, my silkies seem to be coming along more slowly. One is very small and slower to feather (eating, drinking, moving just fine). Should I split the flock and keep the silkies inside for longer? I feel like that may be upsetting to the pecking order, but I don't know.

I have a Brinsea. Should I get a long extension cord and put it in the coop, too, for the first few days to make sure they're okay???

Thank you in advance!

I would get them weaned off the heater while they are still in the house.
You should be able to shut it off earlier and turn it on later each day for 3 or 4 days then leave it off and check on them.
If they are still needing it they will cheep loudly.

Mine have been out in the coop at that age with temps in the low 40's. Right now mine are 9(ish) weeks old with no heat and temps in the low 30's all day. They spent the day going between the run and coop frolicking happily.

It can be worrisome moving them outside. :hugs

If it comforts you to run a cord out there for a few days it won't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom