Chickens In Ya Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am at that really difficult point each year where I have to determine which birds will remain as next year's breeders, and which will finish development as meat birds. I take the keepers off of the grower diet once they have grown to full height, and put them on a flock raiser diet so they develop more slowly and with stronger structures.

I have someone who wants to buy out all my Narragansett hens. While this isn't really a problem (it's a great mama hen and two of her daughters), it puts me into an awkward position for spring as I will potentially have many turkey colors instead of just Narr/Golden Narr.

I need to select from the other young hens in my pen for next year's breeders, and fortunately the choices work in my favor. For the ship-a-thon, I may be offering a little later depending on when the young girls start to lay, but all the eggs will be wildcard thanks to turkey color genetics.

I am keeping my Golden Narragansett tom, and son-of-tom who will be his successor in a couple of years. The hens will be Bronze-Red and Bourbon Red, selected for size and conformation. The cool thing is that the babies will come in many colors:
  • Golden Narragansett
  • Narragansett
  • Bronze-Red
  • Buff
  • Bourbon Red
  • Bronze

Is there anyone in the ship-a-thon interested in my turkey eggs who would object to not being certain what color they would hatch out? I can vent-stain the Bourbon Red hens reducing the possibilities to four colors (Golden Narragansett, Bronze-Red, Buff, Bourbon Red). All six colors would come from the Bronze-Red hens.

Walnut, we're interested in trying out Turkey's next Spring to see if we want to keep going with them or not so colors don't really matter to us... just fyi... :)

I am at that really difficult point each year where I have to determine which birds will remain as next year's breeders, and which will finish development as meat birds.  I take the keepers off of the grower diet once they have grown to full height, and put them on a flock raiser diet so they develop more slowly and with stronger structures.

I have someone who wants to buy out all my Narragansett hens.  While this isn't really a problem (it's a great mama hen and two of her daughters), it puts me into an awkward position for spring as I will potentially have many turkey colors instead of just Narr/Golden Narr.  

I need to select from the other young hens in my pen for next year's breeders, and fortunately the choices work in my favor.  For the ship-a-thon, I may be offering a little later depending on when the young girls start to lay, but all the eggs will be wildcard thanks to turkey color genetics.  

I am keeping my Golden Narragansett tom, and son-of-tom who will be his successor in a couple of years.  The hens will be Bronze-Red and Bourbon Red, selected for size and conformation.  The cool thing is that the babies will come in many colors:
  • Golden Narragansett
  • Narragansett
  • Bronze-Red
  • Buff
  • Bourbon Red
  • Bronze

Is there anyone in the ship-a-thon interested in my turkey eggs who would object to not being certain what color they would hatch out?  I can vent-stain the Bourbon Red hens reducing the possibilities to four colors (Golden Narragansett, Bronze-Red, Buff, Bourbon Red).  All six colors would come from the Bronze-Red hens.

I would love to try some turkeys. Let know what you need for the eggs. I am cool with whatever
I plan on keeping one or two hens. ;)

YAY! Sold six stewing hens and four young roosters! That leaves only the bantams in the brooder pen, and Baby finally graduated to the brooder pen. No more house turkey!

Walnut, we're interested in trying out Turkey's next Spring to see if we want to keep going with them or not so colors don't really matter to us... just fyi...
smile.png

I would love to try some turkeys. Let know what you need for the eggs. I am cool with whatever
I plan on keeping one or two hens.
wink.png

Cool. I wanted to be sure that I wasn't going to disappoint anyone by having multiple choices.

The hens should be mature by early January, so it will only be weather holding them back. There are a few really nice girls to choose from. And I will want to swap for chicken eggs that will add color to my egg baskets and my coop.

Last edited:
YAY!  Sold six stewing hens and four young roosters!  That leaves only the bantams in the brooder pen, and Baby finally graduated to the brooder pen.  No more house turkey!

:woot

Always nice to sell off those extra mouths!! :D

Awww... poor Baby... thought you liked the live hat look... :gig

Cool.  I wanted to be sure that I wasn't going to disappoint anyone by having multiple choices.  

The hens should be mature by early January, so it will only be weather holding them back.  There are a few really nice girls to choose from.  And I will want to swap for chicken eggs that will add color to my egg baskets and my coop.

I can't speak for others, but I'd be happy to swap a mix for a mix... :D

Oh, that reminds me... Walnut, do you think that a book like I made and sent you would be something that others might be interested in as a non-egg swap? Just to be clear, I'm not asking that your book be swapped for eggs--that one's firmly an extra thank you. Another one in the future, maybe, if you're interested...

I am at that really difficult point each year where I have to determine which birds will remain as next year's breeders, and which will finish development as meat birds. I take the keepers off of the grower diet once they have grown to full height, and put them on a flock raiser diet so they develop more slowly and with stronger structures.

I have someone who wants to buy out all my Narragansett hens. While this isn't really a problem (it's a great mama hen and two of her daughters), it puts me into an awkward position for spring as I will potentially have many turkey colors instead of just Narr/Golden Narr.

I need to select from the other young hens in my pen for next year's breeders, and fortunately the choices work in my favor. For the ship-a-thon, I may be offering a little later depending on when the young girls start to lay, but all the eggs will be wildcard thanks to turkey color genetics.

I am keeping my Golden Narragansett tom, and son-of-tom who will be his successor in a couple of years. The hens will be Bronze-Red and Bourbon Red, selected for size and conformation. The cool thing is that the babies will come in many colors:
  • Golden Narragansett
  • Narragansett
  • Bronze-Red
  • Buff
  • Bourbon Red
  • Bronze

Is there anyone in the ship-a-thon interested in my turkey eggs who would object to not being certain what color they would hatch out? I can vent-stain the Bourbon Red hens reducing the possibilities to four colors (Golden Narragansett, Bronze-Red, Buff, Bourbon Red). All six colors would come from the Bronze-Red hens.

You need to do what ever works best for you. I know If I were to trade eggs in the spring, color of the turkeys is not on the top of the list of importance!

Oh, that reminds me... Walnut, do you think that a book like I made and sent you would be something that others might be interested in as a non-egg swap? Just to be clear, I'm not asking that your book be swapped for eggs--that one's firmly an extra thank you. Another one in the future, maybe, if you're interested...

It's hard to say. Some people have given up paper for electronics. I guess I am too old to forsake paper entirely, I have many trees worth all over. It's a handy little book, and the images make it very easy to tell what is supposed to be inside!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom