Chickens In Ya Window

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Sep 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Ruby put the chick in one of those tiny rectangle baby food cups for a day to hold his feet together if the bands keep him from walking. A lot of times the bands make them fall over and are worse than not. at the bottom of the hatching 101 article you will find images and links to this. I never bothered banding, I always used the cup. Blarney taught me this, it works wonders and in short order too!

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick in a babyfood container to help "bring legs" together
    [​IMG]

Understanding Splayed Legs and incubation distress that easily leads to splayed legs

This condition has been associated with high humidity during incubation, but the results of our research indicate that higher temperature conditions during the last phase of embryo development may have a bigger impact. Splayed legs are also observed when newly hatched chicks are placed on slippery floors.

http://www.worldpoultry.net/Breeders/Incubation/2011/8/Incubation-distress-easily-leads-to-splayed-legs-WP009251W/

3. rossfam06

rossfam06 Beak Brokers

Sep 20, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    My Coop
    Yay!!!!!! You should put the other little guy in the bator to help coax the others along. Lol!!
    I love this article. It was great information to have available esp if and when I need it.

4. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Thank you!! I have one of those too! He seems a lot better this morning! After I drop the kids off at school, I'm going to really examine him and I will do that if he needs it. I'm going to take out the MHP, and put up a red light to keep him warm and near food and water. He really needs a friend to teach him to drink!

5. dan26552

dan26552 Flock Master

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Haven't had to jump out of windows for a long time now, but I am intrigued by those who dare to deviate from that which is perceived as 'normal'. Many here seem to fit that description. Can I hang out with ya'? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    sure! anytime!

[​IMG]Thank God for farmers!

@sourland YAY!!! [​IMG]

8. dan26552

dan26552 Flock Master

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    Yup

9. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Wait...there is something called normal? Never met it. Welcome!

1 person likes this.
  10. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I'm just getting caught up after coming out of my purple haze, so I'm replying to this before reading the rest. Honest, I wanted to invite you, and had already discussed it with someone else, but my stone showed up before I got the chance. I know how you like to read, and this one should be good ;)

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by