chickens just standing around in the pouring down rain...

WyoChickenMamma

Songster
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
...I went down to the coop to put them all to bed for the night, and they want nothing to do with the coop. They are scratching around, wandering from the feeders to the water founts. Just like any other night. Other than they are drenched. Just down right soaked. I look in the coop and there are 4 in there, dry and happy. It is now after 8pm, they are usually all snug in the coop around 8:30-40, so I will give them another thirty minutes, then I will be going back out in the rain to get them all into the coop. Silly hens. I totally understand the goose enjoying the rain, but I am flabbergasted by their desire to just stand out in the rain.

Quote:
That is just what I told my husband. Perhaps it is a relief to be wet and cool since it has been so stinking hot here lately. However them not wanting to go in is putting a damper on me wanting to curl up in my bed, listen to the rain and read a good book....

I was going to say the same thing about it being because of the heat. I had a sprinkler out in my free-range pen the other day, and some of my chickens were just enjoying pecking around in the area it was getting wet. My silkies, on the other hand, are just not bright enough to get in out of the rain even when it's chilly out!
wink.png

my birds love, love, love the rain. it's the weirdest thing ever, the heavens will open and we'll try to shoo them into the coop... they won't go! They will walk right out after us and stand at the gate getting soaked
tongue.png

mine stayed out in the rain to today, I tried to get them in the coop in case of hail, we get that a lot here as it cools fast and it was only 70 and cooling fast. they went under the hedge some of the time and some of the time not.

Back
Top Bottom