Chickens Keep Dying Help?

katelk

Songster
6 Years
May 6, 2013
White Bluff, TN
Over the last year or so we have had 7 birds die suddenly. By suddenly, I mean that they were totally fine, then got sleepy acting for a couple of days, then they were dead. They have no symptoms other than being extremely emaciated at death. It's like they just decide to stop eating and within a week are dead. We just lost another one this afternoon. A week ago I had picked her up and she was fat and healthy. Today when we found her she was bones. I had a fecal test done on the flock last year and the only parasite found was a small amount of capillaria and the vet just said to start mixing Diatomaceous Earth with their feed to control it, which we have been.
The very first one that died, we took to the lab to figure out why. They found tapeworms in that bird, but it was not a lot. That bird also had what they said may be lymphoid leukosis, but couldn't say for sure. The lab report also said that the lining of that bird's crop had an odd, crumbly texture.
What might be making these birds just decide to stop eating and die within such a short period of time? They have all been over a year old and some over 2-3 years.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your birds.

I hope someone out here in BYC land has some advice for you.
I'll be keeping an eye on your post for answers. I wish you the best of luck.

Over the last year or so we have had 7 birds die suddenly. By suddenly, I mean that they were totally fine, then got sleepy acting for a couple of days, then they were dead. They have no symptoms other than being extremely emaciated at death. It's like they just decide to stop eating and within a week are dead. We just lost another one this afternoon. A week ago I had picked her up and she was fat and healthy. Today when we found her she was bones. I had a fecal test done on the flock last year and the only parasite found was a small amount of capillaria and the vet just said to start mixing Diatomaceous Earth with their feed to control it, which we have been.
The very first one that died, we took to the lab to figure out why. They found tapeworms in that bird, but it was not a lot. That bird also had what they said may be lymphoid leukosis, but couldn't say for sure. The lab report also said that the lining of that bird's crop had an odd, crumbly texture.
What might be making these birds just decide to stop eating and die within such a short period of time? They have all been over a year old and some over 2-3 years.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I'm sorry for your loss.

IMHO Diatomaceous Earth will not control internal parasites. Use a dewormer like Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and then repeated in 10 days for each chicken or Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur) at 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days in a row. Worms could be the cause of emaciation, etc.

As far as the Lymphoid Leukosis, you would have to do further research to see what could be the possible cause, viral, bacterial, etc.
Did they give you a full necropsy report?

Worming Information:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/11/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens.html
https://poultrykeeper.com/digestive-system-problems/capillaria-worms/

I'm sorry for your loss.

IMHO Diatomaceous Earth will not control internal parasites. Use a dewormer like Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and then repeated in 10 days for each chicken or Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur) at 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days in a row. Worms could be the cause of emaciation, etc.

As far as the Lymphoid Leukosis, you would have to do further research to see what could be the possible cause, viral, bacterial, etc.

Worming Information:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/11/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens.html

good info thanks!

I'm sorry for your loss.

IMHO Diatomaceous Earth will not control internal parasites. Use a dewormer like Valbazen  1/2 ml orally and then repeated in 10 days for each chicken or Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur) at 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days in a row. Worms could be the cause of emaciation, etc.

Worming Information:

We wormed everyone with Valbazen and praziquantel 2 years ago after the first dead chicken. Then 1 year ago we did the fecal test to make sure we were good, which is when we were told that the only thing in there was a small amount of capillaria. I told the vet that I had used Valbazen on them and she acted like I was a monster, so I haven't wormed them anymore since. I have just been trying to use natural methods. They did give a full necropsy report, I am attaching it to this post.

Thanks for posting the report.
I suppose I misunderstood, this has been going on since 2014?
I'm not good at reading the reports, so have sent a pm to someone else to look at your post and question.

I do suggest that you have another fecal float done to see if there are any more worms, what does their poo look like?
With them "wasting" (losing weight) I suspect something like Marek's.

Thanks for posting the report.
I suppose I misunderstood, this has been going on since 2014?
I'm not good at reading the reports, so have sent a pm to someone else to look at your post and question.

I do suggest that you have another fecal float done to see if there are any more worms, what does their poo look like?
With them "wasting" (losing weight) I suspect something like Marek's.

Thanks for passing it on! I was thinking I should do another fecal too. I had wondered about Marek's, but aside from the wasting (which literally only takes less than a week) they have zero symptoms of Marek's. They act totally normal and fine until suddenly it's almost like they decide to die and stop eating and are gone within a week. I do know they have what I assume is chronic respiratory disease. I took in some old birds back in September from someone I trust, long story short that was a bad idea. Ended up battling the chronic sniffles. Everyone is symptom free now aside from one who was a weak one from birth (I had to rehab her so she could even walk as a chick). I realize I am keeping birds going that many people would cull, but we just have chickens for eggs and because I just love chickens. They are more like pets than livestock.

EDIT: I meant to also say that their poops are totally normal

Last edited:
Where they vaccinated for Marek's? You might want to contact a different vet and discuss how best to deal with capillary worms and tapeworms, and call the vet that disapproved of the Valbazen and ask why?

-Kathy

Where they vaccinated for Marek's? You might want to contact a different vet and discuss how best to deal with capillary worms and tapeworms, and call the vet that disapproved of the Valbazen and ask why? 

-Kathy

They were not vaccinated that I know of. I know the ones I've hatched aren't vaccinated. My own hatches are healthy, even though they're all together. I've only ever lost one bird that I hatched from my own stock (*knock on wood*).
The vet that balked about the Valbazen gave the impression that it was bad due to eating eggs. I told her that I had waited the month withdrawal period and she acted like I was crazy. I told her, well it's been a year and none of us have died, and all she said was, well maybe the eggs are ok by now. Honestly, I hated throwing out so many eggs during that withdrawal period, that it didn't take too much to influence me to not do it again. Of course, I will if I need to for their wellbeing. I will definitely get a fecal test done first though.

Back
Top Bottom