ChickenLadyLaura

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2018
HI all! I have 9 chickens and 1 rooster and their coop is in a very large area that is fenced in. We got them as pullets in Spring and they've lived in this area the whole time. One of our neighbors has free range chickens that walk all over the neighborhood and some of them recently found our chicken area, which gave our chickens the great idea to jump the fence. So my question is, can we do anything to encourage them to stay in the fenced in area? Maybe netting over top? Or will they just come back to the coop still at night if they can go wherever they want?

HI all! I have 9 chickens and 1 rooster and their coop is in a very large area that is fenced in. We got them as pullets in Spring and they've lived in this area the whole time. One of our neighbors has free range chickens that walk all over the neighborhood and some of them recently found our chicken area, which gave our chickens the great idea to jump the fence. So my question is, can we do anything to encourage them to stay in the fenced in area? Maybe netting over top? Or will they just come back to the coop still at night if they can go wherever they want?
I would not let them free range but I say this because I had chickens killed by hawks during the day when we allowed them to roam. We have a 14x12 run like fort Knox and a small pop door for them to enter the fenced yard which is huge. The hens became experts at flying over the fence so we had to add netting extending about 4 feet above the fence. We also ran strips of netting across the yard from one side to another to prevent hawks from swoopng in for a quick snack.

Clip wings, put netting over the top, whatever you have to do to not be that neighbor. Keep them at home. They will likely come back to the coop at night if you let them run... If nothing eats them while they're out and about.

Netting over the pen would be effective. Outside of the pen they would be more vulnerable to predation, and they might decide to join the neighbor's flock.
That's exactly what I was thinking and don't want them joining another flock. Thanks!

Does the neighbor's flock outnumber yours? Do the neighbors have roosters that might try to entice your hens over to join his flock?
Our flock out numbers theirs, they lose a lot of theirs since they don't really do anything to protect them. That's why I'm guessing theirs are starting to come over to our flock now. And they have no rooster

I would not let them free range but I say this because I had chickens killed by hawks during the day when we allowed them to roam. We have a 14x12 run like fort Knox and a small pop door for them to enter the fenced yard which is huge. The hens became experts at flying over the fence so we had to add netting extending about 4 feet above the fence. We also ran strips of netting across the yard from one side to another to prevent hawks from swoopng in for a quick snack.
Thank you! Definitely going to build it up to Fort Knox quality this weekend :)

Back
Top Bottom