Chickens loosing their beards

Desertguardian

Chirping
Feb 15, 2023
Hi, I have six adults that dropped their beards but not any other feathers. two had molted last two months but didn't loose beards and only one looks like she's molting now along with the beard but none of the others, just the beards only. Does this sound strange to you? I checked for mites and lice and don't see any or any other indication of attack. They are eating well and looking healthy otherwise.

Hi, I have six adults that dropped their beards but not any other feathers. two had molted last two months but didn't loose beards and only one looks like she's molting now along with the beard but none of the others, just the beards only. Does this sound strange to you? I checked for mites and lice and don't see any or any other indication of attack. They are eating well and looking healthy otherwise.
One or more of the hens may be plucking and eating the beard feathers. My RIR ate the beard off one of my EEs on two separate occasions. Others have mentioned this as well.

They most likely are getting their beard feathers pulled out by the other chickens. We have the same problem.

One or more of the hens may be plucking and eating the beard feathers. My RIR ate the beard off one of my EEs on two separate occasions. Others have mentioned this as well.
Oh no I wonder what to do about it.
They most likely are getting their beard feathers pulled out by the other chickens. We have the same problem.
I wonder if there’s something to put on the area that might taste bad to them. Hope I can find the culprit !

The reality is many bearded birds get groomed to the point that they lose their beards, which won't fully return until they next molt. It's not really a "problem" in the sense that it doesn't bother the bird being groomed and it's more of a social activity, as opposed to problematic feather eating/pulling.

The reality is many bearded birds get groomed to the point that they lose their beards, which won't fully return until they next molt. It's not really a "problem" in the sense that it doesn't bother the bird being groomed and it's more of a social activity, as opposed to problematic feather eating/pulling.
Ditto Dat^^^.
Have had a group of beardless ladies, I almost didn't recognize them when the beards grew back.

My rooster would just stand there like he was being groomed by the girls, I swear, he was almost smiling. haha. It did not distress him at all.
Yes. my male was naked necked(he had no beard) and he just stood still for the 'pluckgrooming'. The girls stood for it too, they seemed to take turns on each other.

Back
Top Bottom