Chickens lost in mail - happy update!

uisceros

Chirping
Jun 2, 2022
Massachusetts, USA
My apologies if this isn’t the best place to put this, but I’m so upset over this.

I ordered two adult Serama birds from a breeder in Florida. She shipped them to me on the 5th with 1-day priority. It is now the 9th and I still don’t have them. They came all the way up to Boston (I’m in MA), and then stayed there for a full day before being sent to NJ.

Is there ANY chance of them being okay after all this time? I’m so worried. I’ve called the post office so many times. They keep telling me they’re going to put notes on the file.

I’m no worried as much about temps or food, but they’ve been without water for so long now.

Has this happened to anyone else? At this point I don’t think I’ll see them until Monday at the earliest. It’s like they don’t care that these are living breathing beings. It makes me so sick.

(The breeder and I have been in contact - obviously I don’t blame her at all. This is 100% the USPS)

I'm sorry. I don't think chickens can survive more than a few days without water, especially if it's hot. That's why you really shouldn't ship adult birds because you just never know. It's much better to get hatching eggs.

Quick HAPPY update. They arrived today at a local distribution center. I drove out to pick them up, and they were both alive!!

Other than some comb darkening from dehydration, they seem fine. I gave them water as soon as I got them, and they drank a bunch. They’ve also eaten a ton as well, and are now resting in their temporary set up.

I think their saving grace was that the breeder shipped them with a bunch of fruit high in sugar and water. It was enough to keep them alive for 5 days in the mail.

I’ve had older birds shipped to me with no incident before, so hopefully this was one time thing!

Attachments

• IMG_9743.jpeg
    IMG_9743.jpeg
    504.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9742.jpeg
    IMG_9742.jpeg
    501.1 KB · Views: 10
Quick HAPPY update. They arrived today at a local distribution center. I drove out to pick them up, and they were both alive!!

Other than some comb darkening from dehydration, they seem fine. I gave them water as soon as I got them, and they drank a bunch. They’ve also eaten a ton as well, and are now resting in their temporary set up.

I think their saving grace was that the breeder shipped them with a bunch of fruit high in sugar and water. It was enough to keep them alive for 5 days in the mail.

I’ve had older birds shipped to me with no incident before, so hopefully this was one time thing!
That's great they made it! Like I said though next time you should probably get hatching eggs instead of live birds.

I'm sorry. I don't think chickens can survive more than a few days without water, especially if it's hot. That's why you really shouldn't ship adult birds because you just never know. It's much better to get hatching eggs.
I agree for the most part, but I also already have two Serama roosters, and I don’t have the space for a bachelor flock, thus ordering adults.

Luckily it turned out well this time though!!

Back
Top Bottom