Chickens & Music

robinwhiskers

Songster
Aug 13, 2017
I'm curious...does anyone else have chickens that like music? All birds seem to have some sort of appreciation for music. For example, when my chooks were 2-3 months old I'd often sit with them for an hour or so and play music on my phone. Because of that I learned my Buff Orpington cockerel loves the song Drops of Jupiter by Train. He'll sit and listen to it without making a sound or moving a muscle when I play it, and I play it beforehand if I know a family member who he'd usually attack will be coming in the coop and it seems to calm him.

Also I teach my Buff Orp pullet tricks and I tried teaching her to "play" the keyboard but she'd just listen to the music, fluffing up and looking around in amusement the whole time. I also play a certain special song to her she likes and I sing to all the chooks at night too.

Anyone have chickens that react to music?

I leave a radio on for chicks in brooder. They seem to like baroque.
Every morning when I go out to open the big coop, I sing "Good morning Starshine....the earth says hello...etc."

I know my girls are rocker chicks. I listen to all kinds of rock, even the heavy stuff. They don't care for the screamer stuff, but do like the more rhythmic stuff. They follow me around the coop when I have my phone playing, but not really any other time. Feeding time is different, they know what's up and swarm like sharks. I think they like music.

I know my girls are rocker chicks. I listen to all kinds of rock, even the heavy stuff. They don't care for the screamer stuff, but do like the more rhythmic stuff. They follow me around the coop when I have my phone playing, but not really any other time. Feeding time is different, they know what's up and swarm like sharks. I think they like music.
Expand their horizons and expose them to more. My chickens are already hyper and stupid crazy and don't need any rock to edge them on even more. I've read that they like NPR Radio and Classical Music. I leave our Classical station on 24/7 for them. All Classical music isn't boring. Give them a variety.

Last edited:
My run is next to an old shed where I often leave a radio playing 24/7. I started doing this as a predator deterrent a couple of years ago when we had some very active foxes in the adjacent woods. I've played various kinds of music, and am currently playing a classic rock station (Rolling Stones :yesss:, Pink Floyd, Lynnard Skinner, etc.) which my birds and I like. They seem to be OK with almost any kind of music, but political talk radio makes them bitchy.:rant:barnie

Back
Top Bottom