1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens not eating.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by drsbarry, Sep 24, 2015.

1. drsbarry

drsbarry New Egg

Sep 23, 2009
    I have a flock of 23 week old red sex links that have stopped eating well. Cannot figure out why - they look happy and active. Crops are normal, Clean vents. They will eat greens, just not very interested in their layer pellets which they used to attack. These chicks are slow to start laying - only get one little egg from 19 chickens every few days. Any ideas otherwise healthy chickens might not want to eat? Thanks, Angela Barry

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

How much greens/treats are you feeding them? Have you recently switched from crumble to pellet? What's the weather like in your area? Any stress or disturbances in the flock?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

At this age, my first thought is they've finished growing and just don't need to eat so much. Seems feed intake decreases about this age as they settle into a maintenance eating plan, instead of extra for growth.

As long as they're healthy, nice glossy feathers, no parasite issues or illness, I'd leave them be. Cut out the treats for a few days and I'll bet they pic up on the feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by