Chickens not eating...

Differentiation

Chirping
Oct 1, 2017
So I have three 17 week old hybrid chickens. They are all very active and extremely friendly but recently a day ago they stopped eating their normal feed. Also, two of them have grown very red combs+waddles and have also started squatting even when walking near them. But one of them has started acting very lethargic. Like she is resting more often and she walks very slowly. I have a feeling she might lay an egg soon. But I am worried about all of them not eating their feed. They normally free range and I've stopped giving them treats so that they get hungry but they never touch their feed. Any thoughts on what is going on? they seem healthy otherwise with no strange symptoms.

What are you feeding them? Is the feeder/feed clean (no mold, rodent droppings, etc)?
It does sound like they are at point of lay. Do they have ground oyster shell available to them free choice?
Are you experiencing a heat wave? I know my pullets will back way down on their feed when it gets hot.

What are you feeding them? Is the feeder/feed clean (no mold, rodent droppings, etc)?
It does sound like they are at point of lay. Do they have ground oyster shell available to them free choice?
Are you experiencing a heat wave? I know my pullets will back way down on their feed when it gets hot.
Im feeding them layer pellets that are non GMO. I dont feed the, oyster shells cause theyre not laying but they do have grit. Its warmer than usual but theyve been eating in much hotter climate. idk if eating grass is causimg their crop to be impacted in a way.

Im feeding them layer pellets that are non GMO. I dont feed the, oyster shells cause theyre not laying but they do have grit. Its warmer than usual but theyve been eating in much hotter climate. idk if eating grass is causimg their crop to be impacted in a way.

Are they eating lots of cut grass? That always worries me after I mow. Have you checked to see if their crops are empty first thing in the morning?

I'd get them some oyster shell for extra calcium. I have it in my run and none of my pullets are laying yet. It is there when they need it. Everyone, cockerels included, have sampled it but no one is eating it regularly but no one is laying yet either. I just feel they should have access to it when the time comes. But you are offering a layer formula that should have enough calcium in it for egg production.

Sometimes it takes a little while for a newly laying bird to get the kinks worked out of the egg laying machinery. Your lethargic pullet could have a soft shelled egg in the plumbing.

Are they eating lots of cut grass? That always worries me after I mow. Have you checked to see if their crops are empty first thing in the morning?

I'd get them some oyster shell for extra calcium. I have it in my run and none of my pullets are laying yet. It is there when they need it. Everyone, cockerels included, have sampled it but no one is eating it regularly but no one is laying yet either. I just feel they should have access to it when the time comes. But you are offering a layer formula that should have enough calcium in it for egg production.

Sometimes it takes a little while for a newly laying bird to get the kinks worked out of the egg laying machinery. Your lethargic pullet could have a soft shelled egg in the plumbing.
There isn't any cut grass from lawn mowing but they do scratch the grass and there is grass laying around from them scratching. They eat plenty of fresh grass as well but may also be eating the cut grass. Thats a good idea of checking their crops. Ill try doing it first thing in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom