Chickens not getting along

clvejby

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 29, 2010
I have four female Barred Rock chickens that we have raised together since they were 5 days old. They are now a year old and starting to molt. Two of the chickens are pecking the one molting and fighting with her. I have now separated them. Will they get along again once she gets her feathers back? Will I have to introduce her back to the group slowly?

I've never heard of chickens pecking a molting chicken just because she's molting. Perhaps you should tell us about your setup. location, feed, how far they can range, etc.

Sometimes I think when one bird is feeling poorly (and any of mine who have molted have NOT been their lively selves), the others know it, maybe see it as a weakness, and try to take advantage in moving up on the pecking order...something like that. I know my mean little bully GLW is molting, and others who she normally chases away from snacks or the food dish are becoming quite bold around her right now. No pecking, but not staying out of her way either. That's one possibility anyway.

I have a hen inside that was being pecked and pecked herself.All three of my big girls were losing feathers,but this one(Milly) lost the most. I have had her inside for a few weeks now,and will put her out when her bald spots are feathered.

I will add her back in at night,and check her often during the day for injury.This is what I would recommend for yours.

Thank you for your responses. They have a two story hen house and an attached dog run. We let them out for 8 hrs a day of roaming on about 1/4 acre. It's good to know that this does happen. Glad we noticed before she was too hurt. We will just keep her on her own for a while and then get the girls back together with close watch.

What you might think about doing, then, is putting the one who's not doing any pecking with her. Gives her some company, and might make things go smoother iwhen you put them back together. If there is one main pecker, I would remove her from the other 3 when I reintegrated, and keeep her by herself for a week or so. Makes her come back at the bottom of the pecking order. There are different ways to shake up the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom