Chickens not laying after being moved

64Galaxie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 26, 2014
CT
When do they start to lay after moving?

I have 15 chickens in my flock. I have 4 that are laying and 6-21 week old chicks that aren't, and one 21 week old rooster. I recently bought 4 1-2 year old Red Star hens. I have had them for a week and only one is laying. They all seem to be getting a long pretty well. Only a couple are pecking at the new ones, but not always. I am wondering how long is it until the ones I have bought will lay. They aren't in molt, or broody. Also, I know they get a long but the new ones still like to stay on top of the coop together. Some of the chickens come down to hang out and vise versa. I have food and water up there for them. I also have a lying basket.I put them in at night with the others and there is a heat light. Also, how long until the new chickens get fully adjusted until they are always on the ground with the other chickens?

Were your Red Star hens laying before you bought them? If so, moving is stressful on chickens, and it may take several weeks before they begin laying again. Just be patient with them. Red Star is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, but no matter what label they are marketed under, RSLs are egg laying machines.

Thanks, yes they were laying before I bought them. The guy even looked and felt their bones to make sure they are laying.

I will try to upload pictures tomorrow for all to see. I have a nice selection of chickens from barred rocks, brahmas, to silver laced and reds

[/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom