Chickens not using roost bars ?

kyron4

Songster
5 Years
Apr 9, 2019
Northern Indiana
My coop is 8' L x 4' W x 2' H and is elevated 2' off the ground. I have two 4' roost bars which are 2x3's wide side up. Our 6 chickens (12 to 14 weeks) sleep on the open floor on the other end of the coop. The roost bars are only about 3" to 4" off the floor and I have seen them sit on them from time to time, but most nights the are all sitting together on the floor. I was just going to remove the two bars and just give them the whole open floor space. Should I give it more time ? No big deal ? Any advice ? -Thanks

my only suggestion would be raise the bars at least 12-18" .. see if that tempts them. I wouldn't worry too much if they aren't using it yet... but it may be low enough that they do'nt recognize it as a roost. When I put my original chicks out in their coop, I had to go after dark for a week or so to put them out of the nest boxes onto the roost.

My coop is 8' L x 4' W x 2' H and is elevated 2' off the ground. I have two 4' roost bars which are 2x3's wide side up.
2' high is not conducive to putting roosts higher(which they might appreciate and use) or for ventilation in winter.
Pics of coop, inside and out, might help garner viable suggestions/solutions.

I call them playing on the roosts during the day perching. They like to play on high things. 3" to 4" off the top of the coop floor isn't much but it should be noticeable to them. Roosting is when they sleep on the roosts. You are correct to separate perching from roosting, two different things.

My brooder raised chicks don't all start roosting at a certain age. I've had some broods start as early as 5-1/2 weeks. Most of mine start around 10 to 12 weeks, but I have had some go several weeks longer. Having adults around changes this timeline dramatically but you don't have any adults. I think how the coop and roosts are set up influences how early they roost. That includes height, access to them, even where your windows are. We are all unique. If they are Silkies, some never roost and enjoy sleeping on the floor. There could be a lot of different factors.

I personally do not worry about where they sleep or when they start roosting as long as they are not sleeping in nests. If they sleep in nests I have an issue. Otherwise they will work it out in their own time and in their own way.

my only suggestion would be raise the bars at least 12-18"

I understand the rationale behind raising the bar above the current 3" to 4" height, but given that the coop is only 24" tall inside, how much head room is required for the chickens to comfortably roost on the bar? For example, I have read that the roost bar should be at least 18" off the floor, but that only leaves 6" headroom in this coop. I can't imagine the chickens would be very comfortable with only 6" headroom, or would they?

I personally do not worry about where they sleep or when they start roosting as long as they are not sleeping in nests. If they sleep in nests I have an issue. Otherwise they will work it out in their own time and in their own way.

That is pretty much what I am thinking. I have yet to build nest boxes for my chickens, but the nest box framing is at 12" high. I have put in 2 roost bars for the chickens, one at 24" and another at 48" (my coop is 8 1/2 feet high at peak). So far, the most chickens I have seen on the roost is 3 of 10. But the bars have been installed only about 4 days. The chicks just turned 9 weeks old. I hope they figure it out on their own. But if not, I guess it's no big deal either.

Here's the pictures of my coop inside and out. The OSB panel seen to the back is
blocking off the nest boxes until they are ready to lay.

GEDC0899.JPG
GEDC0900.JPG
GEDC0901.JPG

Back
Top Bottom