Chickens Okay on Vacation?

la79al

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2019
We have 3 chickens in our backyard. They are 100% in their coop/run. They are locked into the coop at night, it's just what we have always done. The run is covered sides and tops with wire (not chicken wire). The wire does not go into the ground. We just found out our chicken sitter will be on vacation the same week as us this summer. My question is, do we need to find someone else to let them out/put them in or can we just find someone to check on them once or twice and top off food and water as needed. We live in town. The neighbors have cats that wander but have never bothered the chickens that we know of. There are probably skunks and possums around. We currently don't have a motion light or anything in the backyard. The chickens have been there almost 2 years and while they have dug on the inside of the run, we have never found evidence of anything trying to dig on the outside.

OP here--Do you think it would be possible for me to predator proof the setup? I can find someone to feed/water/check on the girls. Not sure if I can find someone to come over early and late to let in/out. Our neighbors installed a 6 foot privacy fence when we got the chickens, if that tells you anything about the chicken love around here. And local family will all be on vacation with us.

Maybe an automatic door, and maybe a couple of cameras you can check from wherever you will be?

That way the automatic door could let them out and shut them in, and you could look through the the cameras to be sure it was open/closed at the right time, and check that they haven't spilled their food & water. Then have someone come over a few times to refill the food & water.

I can leave on a few minutes notice for up to two weeks and the ladies will have enough food and water. Auto pop door to the run, roll out nest boxes that can be checked from outside.
I have left them 8 days when evacuated for fire. If I am leaving a few days I ask the neighbors to check the eggs. I was just gone 4 days with nobody coming to check.

Something could go wrong, but it never has.

Maybe not an option at the moment but perhaps look into an automatic door in the future. We love our and it locks at night. We still double check our girls at night to be safe and thinking of throwing up a camera in time. We have friends, family and neighbors that will help out as well.

OP here--Do you think it would be possible for me to predator proof the setup? I can find someone to feed/water/check on the girls. Not sure if I can find someone to come over early and late to let in/out. Our neighbors installed a 6 foot privacy fence when we got the chickens, if that tells you anything about the chicken love around here. And local family will all be on vacation with us.

OP here--Do you think it would be possible for me to predator proof the setup? I can find someone to feed/water/check on the girls. Not sure if I can find someone to come over early and late to let in/out. Our neighbors installed a 6 foot privacy fence when we got the chickens, if that tells you anything about the chicken love around here.
Absolutely you can! But how far you are willing to go with securing it, time, and how much will it cost is all things to be considered. But I think its a good idea, secure and forget it, years of peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom