Chickens on ice...

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
We just got our first snow!!!!
celebrate.gif
That got me to thinking- If ice forms in their run, will them slip and break a leg or something? Also- Icicles. The run is right beside the barn- when icicles are on the barn roof...and fall off....with they spear a chicken? Should I put a tarp on top so it doesn't happen?

Thanks!
CG3

if you're scared there's gonna be ice, then put a roof or a temporary tarp over your coop so no moisture or water can get in and form ice. Or maybe you could out in a heating lamp, it would melt any ice, if there is any, so it would be safe for chickens.
I remember my girls' first winter, it was last hear, and they loved the snow! Although there was this small ice patch they kept walking on, idk why, but they were so curious about it! When i first started to watch them, i was so scared when they walked over it and fell, they would break their leg!! But they seamed to think it was a game!! It was so funny! But i stilled shooed them away from the ice patch every day, but they kept coming back!
Regarding the icicles, i would just knock them off with a large stick before any of your chickens come out of their coop in the morning. Or you could do it after they go to bed!

Hope I helped!!

Back
Top Bottom