Chickens Over Septic Field?

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
The installation of the septic field extended considerably further uphill than the drawing seemed to indicate, taking out half my proposed mini-orchard. In determining what portions of the property have enough sun to put the displaced trees on, I came up with the idea of swapping that portion of the orchard with the proposed chicken zone.

Is there any reason not to have my chicken run/pens over the septic field as long we aren't digging into the lines?

I was actually thinking that having the run/pens there would help keep people from accidentally driving over it, which is quite critical because it's a "shallow system" (I don't know exactly what that's supposed to mean other than that it absolutely will not tolerate being driven across).

It's no further from the house and no more inconvenient to run water/electric.

DH is concerned that the chickens might dig down far enough to cause problems. I was planning to add a lot of wood chips to the run already.

Any thoughts? Voices of experience?

I would not put anything over a septic field.

x2, though I know some folks feel fine with it, I would not put anything that has to do with food (vegetables, egg layers) on or in close proximity to a septic field, in case of contamination. Shouldn't happen with a properly installed system, but I see no reason to risk it.

Obviously if any repair work ever needs to be done, and the coop or run are on top of it, they'll need to be moved or removed.

I've lived on septics for years, here in the desert.... the shallowest portion (the top) of our systems are about 4 feet deep, at least, and the tank connects into the leach bed at about that depth, and the "stuff" percolates down--it doesn't rise to the surface. I've had no problems free ranging the birds over the entire area. Invasive trees/bushes like our oleanders are a big no-no, but trees with fibrous roots here are fine, and actually mutually beneficial, at least in my soil and climate. However, in North Carolina, you might want to not put the orchard trees over the drain field. Also, know the growth pattern of the tree roots--here, the roots expand outward at least the height of the tree, for example.

Different systems have different tolerances. The place I'm selling, developed an elbow in the input line from the house to the tank, and it was replaced with material you could drive over, packed properly in by a good septic company. It's amazing how many people actually put driveways over the drain field, to my horror, without even caring to see what the bed is meant to tolerate.

I'd suggest talking to a good septic company you trust, and get advice tailored at least to your area of the country. You're already way ahead of the game by knowing where the system is and having it all mapped out. Also, in case of a system failure, the first choice is to put in a second leach field in a backup location--many places require a backup location for the drain field in case of a failure.

x2, though I know some folks feel fine with it, I would not put anything that has to do with food (vegetables, egg layers) on or in close proximity to a septic field, in case of contamination. Shouldn't happen with a properly installed system, but I see no reason to risk it.

Obviously if any repair work ever needs to be done, and the coop or run are on top of it, they'll need to be moved or removed.
Am more concerned with the birds interfering with the function of the field.
...and building pens, couldn't put posts into field area for pens.
...and of course access any repairs.
Not putting pens over fields might guarantee nothing ever goes wrong with it. :gig

My field has probably a foot of topsoil over the 12-18" of gravel and pipes.

Other than poking posts down into the important parts, your chickens won’t damage anything, and unless something goes terribly wrong, they’ll never come in contact with the leach water.

However, in North Carolina, you might want to not put the orchard trees over the drain field.

I absolutely cannot put trees on the field or too close to the edge -- which is why it has wiped out half the planned orchard. It went a good 20 feet higher up the hill than I anticipated from the septic plot that was sketched out.

If the coop is on skids, so can be moved out of the way if anything ever needs to be replaced... or put the coop on a non -septic part...

And you are very careful where you put fence posts... i do not see how there would ever be a problem. :idunno

But... it very much depends on your specific system.

Any even halfway properly installed system will not leach up... so your chickens will not become contaminated.

How shallow is shallow... that you have to figure out first... if it is only 1 foot deep, yes, chickens could dig that deep over time. But if it is 3 feet deep, I do not see how there could be an issue.

As someone who has installed a few septics over the yrs, I wouldn't hesitate to have chickens on the leach fields. Yes, pounding posts would be a issues unless you're 100% sure where the laterals are. Laterals should be 6" apart (at least in my area).

And, trees are a definite no near or on a septic field.

Back
Top Bottom