Chickens panting outside

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
My chicks (7 weeks on Monday) aren't fully outside yet so I assume they are just not used to the air conditioning. Today it was 91 degrees and I only had them outside for a couple of hours because they were panting. They have shade and water. Do I need to slowly acclimate them to the heat while moving them out? Does panting mean I should bring them in?

My chicks (7 weeks on Monday) aren't fully outside yet so I assume they are just not used to the air conditioning. Today it was 91 degrees and I only had them outside for a couple of hours because they were panting. They have shade and water. Do I need to slowly acclimate them to the heat while moving them out? Does panting mean I should bring them in?
Many people put chicks outside in the day first, and only later at night. When outside is colder than inside, that makes sense (bring them in when it is coldest).

But with your temperatures, you might consider putting the chicks outside for the night, and bringing them inside for a few hours in the hottest part of the afternoon if they look stressed. That will let them spend as much time outside as possible, while still easing their transition to the hottest part of the day.

I'd probably just make sure there is lots of shade and water available in this situation. Some panting is to be expected - I'm sure you sweat a little too when going from the nice AC house to the warm, potentially humid, outdoors. The ice block certainly couldn't hurt either.

But yea, if the wings start going out, that's when I would start to worry.

Back
Top Bottom