Chickens pecking other chickens comb.

Crazy chicken girl

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2017
Hi there! I'm new and actually fairly younger then most people on here. This is my first flock. Basically I have 6 chickens, three wyndottes, two leghorns, and one Plymouth rock. Yesterday I went outside to see if any eggs were laid. They just started about a week ago. My leghorn was bleeding from her comb because part of it was picked off and eaten. I treated the wound and separated her that night. Today my father picked up some Pick-No-More. I put it on as directed and let the girls out for a bit. Noticing that when the silver wyndotte come close to the leghorn she runs away. The silver Wyndotte is still picking and so is the other leghorn. I've separated them again as they are in the coop at the moment. I would like if you could tell me why they are picking, and what I can do to stop it. I guess I'm waiting for it to heal but after that will this be a problem again? I don't want to give her up cause I love her a lot. Thanks!

Pullets can get moody around the point of lay.

How big is your set up?

You may need to separate her out within the coop or run if the picking continues.

Chickens can get more aggressive in smaller set ups, especially after sexual maturity when territory becomes more important.

I'm assuming the whole are they are in is than 3x6 which is pretty tight for that numbers of chickens. Giving them more room or free ranging time may help.

today I got thinking. While building the extension which will be around 8ft wide 9ft length, I remembered that even on my big lawn the silver wyndotte still pecked at the leghorn. Meaning its not just a matter of space..will the SW stop pivking when the wound heals or will it continue. If so what do I do?

I never had luck with Wyandotte's in a back yard setting. They always turned into bullies.

In the country my wyandottes were a favorite and had good flock manners.

You may have to make a choice if it continues.

What feed do you use? Sometimes upping the protein can stop the pecking.

She could calm down as she matures. I too have read of people having troubles with Wyandotte, I personally haven't experienced it.

Back
Top Bottom