Chickens Sick- 2 died, 1 very ill. Lethargic, not eating. Help!

Moricha

Chirping
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Hello, I have 7 chickens, previously 9.
2 of my chickens were acting lethargic, not eating, and only drinking.
They were unresponsive and would sit still or only stand in place, they died one day apart from each other. I took one to my local vet, she said she wasn't sure what to do and isn't trained in chickens.
I suspected Cocci due to symptoms and started giving them Corid 20% yesterday in their water.
One of my other chickens is now lethargic-- won't dig or scratch, won't eat, only drinks water.
Her crop was very full of water, and I let her out to roam the grass by herself and she wouldn't eat ANY of it.
She pooped while I let her out, picture attached.
Runny, white, and highlighter yellow.
Other chickens before the passed were basically pooping water.
What's going on? I don't want to lose another chicken.
All chickens are 1.5 years old for reference.
Please help, I'm desperate.

Attachments

• 20200923_173729.jpg
    20200923_173729.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 27
Picture of your set up?
Have you gave them a drench dose (straight to the beak) of Corid yet?

Do you have heat in them?

Picture of your set up?
Have you gave them a drench dose (straight to the beak) of Corid yet?

Do you have heat in them?

Not able to get a picture of set up, but it is an outdoor run on a dirt floor, with a typical feeder and ground waterer for the Corid. I usually have a nipple set up for watering instead of a ground waterer. They have a coop with high roosts.

By drench dose, do you mean a concentrated dose of Corid, or the mixed dose but just administered directly to the beak?

Thank you for taking the time to reply :)

I suspect coccidiosis, too. Do the drench on the sickest.

In addition to the Corid, it would be very helpful to also give them a sulfa antibiotic. Since you've seen and paid a vet, you should be able to convince her to prescribe the sulfa. There is a bird sulfa that mixes into the Corid water, so there's no special dosing. https://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Bird-Sulfa-100-Tablets_p_26947.html

Often, coccidia inflames the intestines to the degree that a very virile bacteria colonizes the intestines. This kill chickens more quickly than the coccidia. The sooner you can start the sulfa the sooner you might be able to turn this around.

I suspect coccidiosis, too. Do the drench on the sickest.

In addition to the Corid, it would be very helpful to also give them a sulfa antibiotic. Since you've seen and paid a vet, you should be able to convince her to prescribe the sulfa. There is a bird sulfa that mixes into the Corid water, so there's no special dosing. https://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Bird-Sulfa-100-Tablets_p_26947.html

Often, coccidia inflames the intestines to the degree that a very virile bacteria colonizes the intestines. This kill chickens more quickly than the coccidia. The sooner you can start the sulfa the sooner you might be able to turn this around.

Thank you. I will drench her tomorrow morning- they are already roosted and up. I will be calling my vet about the product you listed. Thank you for your input- I'm glad to see I'm not alone in thinking it was Cocci. If I can even just identify what's happening I'll be relieved. Your help is appreciated :)

Being someone who has experienced loss due to suspected coccidiosis, if I happened to be in your shoes, I'd get the sick bird off the roost tonight to do the drench. I mean absolutely no disrespect in any way, but in my opinion, the sooner the better.
What's so strange is I felt in my heart I had to do it tonight-- there was this nagging urge that said "DO IT TONIGHT!" and then your message popped up. I mixed up and dosed her just now as soon as you sent it. I agreed. Thank you for the push :D

Back
Top Bottom